Continuous Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TriciaS

Reaction score
I just started making Kombucha using the continuous brew method. I now have two large scobis with a third growing. Which scobis should I remove the new one or older one? Is it beneficial to have two in the jar (2 gallons)?Thanks!

I just started making Kombucha using the continuous brew method. I now have two large scobis with a third growing. Which scobis should I remove the new one or older one? Is it beneficial to have two in the jar (2 gallons)?Thanks!

You can remove the extra (old) SCOBYs and put them in a SCOBY hotel, to save them if something goes wrong and you get some contamination down the road.

Since one one around me makes kombucha, I have a lot of SCOBYs. Every once in a while, I toss out some of the oldest ones.

You want to have the right amount of culture in your continuous brew. Adding two or more SCOBYs will definitely speed up fermentation, but you may get a more vinegar-y result. The idea of kombucha's SCOBYs are that it's a good mix of bacteria and yeast that don't give straight vinegar.

When I replenished (fed) my SCOBY hotel the last time, I poured off the liquid in the jar except for a cup as a starter, and used it as vinegar in salad dressings since it was way too vinegar-y to drink.

https://www.kombuchakamp.com/scoby-hotel-maintenance for how to create and save a bunch of SCOBYs.

Back