Contemplating the leap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
OK, I have my mash tun ready and I was planning on one more extract brew this weekend, but now thinking a may just make the jump to all-grain (pending feedback here) on this brew.

1. Is there reason not to try a stout as a first AG brew? Would it be any more difficult than say a lighter beer, maybe a blonde?

2. After reading the recent article in BYO, I am thinking I might start out with a "no sparge" method. Any reasons against this? I'm thinking it is simpler if done right.

I'll sit back and listen.

1) A stout is NO MORE difficult than any other AG. Most AG beers are the same process. The only difference is what grains you crush together.

That said, a stout may actually be "easier" because it could mask some flavors, but if your fermentation temps are correct, you're pitching the appropriate amount of healthy yeast, and you are not using chlorinated water, it doesn't matter.

A light beer is going to be more difficult only in that there is less flavor to hide flaws and your additions will make more of an impact.

2) The no-sparge method is going to be a lot less efficient than a simple batch sparge. It might be easier to calculate, but doing the math on a basic batch sparge is not hard. I can step you through it if you like.

The nice thing about a no-sparge is that it's quicker, and also that some people claim it makes a better beer. The bad thing is it uses more grain. Your call.

I'd do a single sparge, personally.

What he said. I think a stout's a great way to start all-grain since there's a lot of wiggle room flavor wise. Just like Homercidal said, make sure you pitch enough yeast (use the Mr.Malty calculator), filter your water or buy it, and keep ferm temps in check.

Also, make sure to have some DME on hand (sounds like you already do) in case you miss your pre-boil gravity. Here's a formula for using it to meet the need if you come in low:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/formula-determine-how-much-dme-add-when-pre-boil-gravity-missed-185394/

No reason not to batch sparge, it's pretty simple and improves efficiency. Download Brewtarget (its free) and it will calculate your mash/sparge volumes based on your desired pre-boil volume.

I did the Brewing Classic Styles dry stout for my first all grain. Built a mash tub with braid and followed Dennybrew (dennybrew) for mashing & batch sparging. The flaked barley didn't cause a stuck sparge and my first efficiency was 80%.

I can't comment about no-sparge. Doing anything with new equipment is always going to be an uncertainty. Following the dennybrew way seems to historically give 70% or high efficiencies (which can be dilluted before boil if needed).

Just do it. I also do a single sparge.

I like to strike with half the boil volume plus the grain absorption and dead space. For me that is a half quart per pound. No mash out and a single sparge with the other half.

The sparge just dilutes the first runnings left in the grain and dead space. So the efficiency hit with no sparge depends on the size of the grain bill. For a 1.040 beer it's practicality nothing. With a 1.100 beer you can get a small beer out of the second runnings.

If you like Pale Ales hops can cover up a multitude of sins. But if you're not a hop guy then go with the stout. Take your time and make sure you have a good 6-8 hours blocked off as your brew day will probably take longer than you anticipate. Otherwise, have fun, stay calm, and enjoy the process.

If I were to do this on paper I'd find the total weight of grain and strike with enough water for 1.5 quarts per pound, plus deadspace and grain absorption.

After the rest, perform a vorlauf and drain the mash tun.

Add rest of water to get the preboil volume, mix and let sit for a few minutes to settle. Vorlauf and drain again.

And I second setting aside 6-8 hours for this. It really can take a while until you get used to it.

Alright! Y'all convinced me! Buying ingredients tomorrow (hopefully) and brewing on Monday...I'm off for the holiday:rockin:

Between now and then, I'll be reading Palmer's book again, I guess. :)

Extract and partial mash boils are also more complicated for the average recipe. With All grain all you are doing is essentially running your boil volume through a grain bed to get the good stuff! after that it is all about the hops. Easy peasy!

ALSO: +1 on Brewtarget! Great software, plus it lets you print off a brew day schedule for each recipe you enter!

:tank:

- B916

Ok, I did it. Jumped in with both feet. Went all grain AND used my DIY IC for the first time. Missed the pre-boil gravity bad but the OG was almost right on. I was very impressed with my IC though. 23 minutes from boil to 68 degs. Used to take me over an hour with the ice bath and frozen jug method.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Back