contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron13

Reaction score
Maybe I just have newbie nervousness but I'll let you guys tell me what you think. Should I dump it?

photo.JPG

i have one that is looking like that. a beer that i make often got some kind of funk in it. it tastes great and i am saving a bit of it to dump in my next batch of that style - hopefully i end up with the same funk. it might be your best beer to date.

Most folks will tell you to taste it first. If it's good, rack it, bottle/keg and drink it quickly.

I'd be VERY sure what I'm dealing with and really think it through before you propagate like the above post suggests. YMMV. and JMHO.

I just tried it, doesn't taste bad but it doesn't taste great? (I'm not sure how it is supposed to taste) it tastes a little watered down to me. I guess I should just bottle it tomorrow and see what happens?

I just tried it, doesn't taste bad but it doesn't taste great? (I'm not sure how it is supposed to taste) it tastes a little watered down to me. I guess I should just bottle it tomorrow and see what happens?

Up to you. If I had plenty of beer in the pipeline I'd probably dump it and clean the crap out of that bucket...but that's not popular around here. People are generally averse to dumping beers, so the bottle and drink quickly advice is what I gave ya ;-)

some wild infections taste great and others don't. i love sour beers but i'd dump and have dumped randomly contaminated beer since i don't want to put the effort into mystery bugs. if i was inclined to keep a wild contaminated beer i'd hit it with some Brett.

Don't bottle it...it's infected, but I'd wait and see how it ages out...but I happen to like wild beers.

If you bottle it, you're certain to have explosions

heferly said:
Don't bottle it...it's infected, but I'd wait and see how it ages out...but I happen to like wild beers.

I guess we should ask how long its been in the fermenter!

Just tell everyone that you *meant to make a farmhouse ale.

I don't know that we've established that this is an infection that would cause bottle bombs or gushers. I mean, if it's formed a pellicle on top of the beer, that's probably because it needs oxygen to survive, right?

Good point, but my guess is not long

Wild yeast/bacteria will keep eating sugars like crazy...they can break down the longer chains that brewers yeast can't

if it's south of 1010 it's probably safe to bottle, in my experience anyway.

Latest posts

Back