contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewing

Reaction score
i am fairly new to wine making i thought i should start with something fairly simple so i am making a simple sugar wine but i keep seeing a white crystaly moldish substance on the neck of the bottle this is what i usually do
1-add hot water to a green glass bottle (100 degrees c to kill off bacteria)
2-then right away while it is still hot i add the sugar to make sure it is not contaminated
3- i give it a good shake and let it cool for a wile
4- i then add some of the cool water to a granulated (empty) vanilla box the
add some yeast when it fizzes after about ten mins i add it to the sugar water mixture (usually fills up to just under the neck of the bottle
5-i then add a balloon ( sterilized thoroughly) to the top and i make sure no air can get out and in every now and then i let some air out but no air can get in
6- finally i keep it in a dark room
as u can see i am thorough and do my best to keep the bottle clean this is the second time this crystal like mold thing showed up
i would like to know
1-what is it
2- how to prevent it
3- will it ruin the wine
4-how to get rid of it
5- is it safe to consume the wine
6- and on a unrelated topic how long will fermentation usually take

i unfortunately do not have access to wine meds i do however have access to household items

What you made won't taste good. I can't comment on the mold, because I've never seen mold like that. I wouldn't risk drinking it.

One reason people ferment things like barley-malt, or fruit juice, is that the juice is acidic, so it keeps out bad infections while the yeast works. If you can add some sort of acid, like lemon juice, that would help prevent infection.

Fermentation can take 1 week, to several months, depending on a lot of factors.

On an unrelated note, I'm not sure if you know, but this site has rules that you must be legally able to make alcohol in your home location. I don't personally believe in alcohol control laws, so I don't care, but you might want to change the location on your profile if there are laws against homemade alcohol where you are.

Back