Contactor install - cut holes or no

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

exc503

Reaction score
It has been a while, but after nearly a year I am finally getting around to putting the pieces to this puzzle together. I am drilling out the control panel, and need some input on the contactor. I have a solid state contactor and the associated heat sink, do I need to cut the box so that the heatsink directly touches the contactor, or can I sandwich the box between the two?

MikeSkril

Reaction score
It has been a while, but after nearly a year I am finally getting around to putting the pieces to this puzzle together. I am drilling out the control panel, and need some input on the contactor. I have a solid state contactor and the associated heat sink, do I need to cut the box so that the heatsink directly touches the contactor, or can I sandwich the box between the two?
I would not sandwich. The SSR should be directly attached to the heat sink (with thermal paste in between). Either cut a hole and install the sink outside of the box, or install the heat sink inside, using a fan to exchange air within the panel.

OP
E

exc503

Reaction score
I would not sandwich. The SSR should be directly attached to the heat sink (with thermal paste in between). Either cut a hole and install the sink outside of the box, or install the heat sink inside, using a fan to exchange air within the panel.
Thank you. I will order up some thermal paste, and figure out how to cut the hole.