Consolidate Hop Inventory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Docod44

Reaction score
Hi all, I've brewed ~50 batches and I feel like I've tried a large variety of hops but often I can't tell subtle differences between hop varieties. In the spirit of saving money and buying in bulk, I'm looking to consolidate my hops inventory and only keep 5 varieties on hand for all my brews. I brew almost every style across the BJCP categories so this is an even more challenging task. Here's what I'm thinking (1 lb bags each):

• Magnum - bittering for lagers and European styles in general
  • Hallertau (vs tettnang? Saaz?) variety for lager/Euro flavor and aroma
  • Fuggles or Kent Goldings for British styles
  • CTZ for bittering hoppy styles
  • Mosaic for bittering/flavor/aroma in hoppy styles

Any thoughts?

OP
Docod44

Docod44

Reaction score
You can mix and match a lot of flavors with those.
I think I only keep about five varieties on hand.
Thank you, I figured this would cover most bases

hottpeper13

Reaction score
I have 5 of german ,7 of american. 2 of english , 3 of auzzy, and sometimes 1 of french. If I can't find a deal on the german I get 5 of american nobleish.
Good luck with just 5! and yeah I have the ones you have and they make a lot of great beer.............but when I pay under $1.00 an oz ( last one averaged $14.00 LB) , who can resist? Really,$14 for a LB of Amarillo, I'm in!

OP
Docod44

Docod44

Reaction score
I have 5 of german ,7 of american. 2 of english , 3 of auzzy, and sometimes 1 of french. If I can't find a deal on the german I get 5 of american nobleish.
Good luck with just 5! and yeah I have the ones you have and they make a lot of great beer.............but when I pay under $1.00 an oz ( last one averaged $14.00 LB) , who can resist? Really,$14 for a LB of Amarillo, I'm in!
I'll definitely keep an eye out for deals that are too good to pass up!

JohnSand

Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
TELL US TELL US TELL US TELL US !!
Ya big tease, you - what 5 are they?
Right now Azacca, Centennial, Columbus, Horizon and two types of Goldings.
Generally I brew APAs and Pilsners, Rye Pales too. I'll brew a Christmas beer and a stout seasonally. I buy pale and pilsner malt in 50# sacks, Munich in ten pound bags, and keep a variety of specialty malts with a range of crystal. Slurry of London Ale, Bootleg Oslo and Arlintonesis are in the fridge, as well as some dry yeasts, usually Notty and 05. I can brew whenever I have time.

odie

Reaction score
Yeah I need to reduce my selection...I probably have a dozen different hops on hand. I only buy in bulk/pound size.

But really I could likely do with just a handful...there are hop substitution charts to help.

I really find myself using only a few. Some have not been touched in a while...

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I probably have a dozen different hops on hand
LUXURY! Only twelve!!??

I have 21. Bought bulk but didn't make as many batches as I thought I would with them before moving to something else that piqued my interest. I am a fruit fly brewer I guess. Except I always have Cascade for Yooper's Haus and Saaz for my altbier...

sicktght311

Reaction score
I take the opposite approach. I buy what i find on sale, or what i need for something specific i have in my mind, but i buy in larger quantities than i need. So whatever I have on hand, tends to go into future recipes. I will often make "Kitchen Sink" IPAs where i just use whatever hops i have, or i'll experiment with existing recipes with a different hop combination, just to see what happens

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand why you would have Magnum and CTZ? Bittering is bittering and if you can't tell flavor and aroma hops apart it is very unlikely you will be able to tell an oz at 60 with either of these. That said, I would add something piney to the mix (centenial or Chinook) for that resinous taste/feel. :mug:

OP
Docod44

Docod44

Reaction score
I take the opposite approach. I buy what i find on sale, or what i need for something specific i have in my mind, but i buy in larger quantities than i need. So whatever I have on hand, tends to go into future recipes. I will often make "Kitchen Sink" IPAs where i just use whatever hops i have, or i'll experiment with existing recipes with a different hop combination, just to see what happens
I've been doing this but I tend to accumulate lots of random small amounts (<0.4oz) of lots of different hops. I was more inspired to clean up my storage space and simplify everything.

OP
Docod44

Docod44

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand why you would have Magnum and CTZ? Bittering is bittering and if you can't tell flavor and aroma hops apart it is very unlikely you will be able to tell an oz at 60 with either of these. That said, I would add something piney to the mix (centenial or Chinook) for that resinous taste/feel. :mug:
That is a good point, for some reason I always associated magnum with lagers and CTZ with APAs/IPAs. I grow Centennials and I will brew up a few hoppy batches at the end of the summer with what I harvest, so I guess in reality I carry 6 hop varieties.

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A pound of Magnum hops could be difficult to get through in a reasonable amount of time. It's got a high AA% and if you overdo it even a little at 60 minutes it will be noticeably bitter. You might save a little money but you might be storing them a long time.

I like to brew a lot of lagers where there are some fairly standard noble hops but even there, the styles simply don't call for much weight-wise, even with the low AA that some noble hops have.

That said, I do use a lot of Hallertaur and Tetnang but I'm still sitting on a few ounces of Saaz as I only use it in my pilsner. I bought a pound of it as whole hops but I also like to try different styles.

Last edited:

madscientist451

Reaction score
I can save money buying hops by the pound, and that's OK if you need a generic bittering hop like Magnum or Warrior, but there are just too many interesting hop combinations to try. So I usually pay more and buy small packs of hops and then try different things. Getting a vacuum sealer/bagger is on my list.