consistently high origninal gravities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goforevercrazywithit

Reaction score
okay so I just brewed batch five last night and after taking the original gravity I found that yet again it come out to be about 0.010 higher than what my recipe shows it should be. I took my reading just before pitching the yeast and after the wort was evened out with water to make it 5 gallons and aerated. Typically the temperature of the sample is 77 degrees F. This has happened for EVERY batch i've made, what is going

You have better efficiency than your recipe calls for. Adjust your recipe based on you're efficiency. Most recipes are set to 75% efficiency.

Since you topped off with water I'm going to assume you are brewing extract batches. If that is the case, the problem is probably that the water and wort are not mixed well enough to get an accurate reading. With extract, it's near impossible to not hit your OG within a point our two. Your reading is probably wrong and your true OG is probably what the recipe said it should be.

Like the above poster stated, if you are brewing with extract the OG is what was listed in the recipe if you used all the ingredients and got to the correct volumes. Another issue could be hydrometer calibration. Your hydrometer should read 1.000 in distilled water at 60f, if not you know the hydrometer is off.

Yea, I have been using malt extract. I just checked my hydrometer, it's reading correctly. I followed to recipe perfectly. To aerate/diffuse the wort I dump it back and forth between two buckets about 5 times. I guess it's possible that this isn't enough to mix it evenly with the water. That's the only cause I can think of.

(sorry for putting this thread in General Discussion, I meant to put it in Beginners and can't find how to move it)

Back