Considering a SMaSh but not so sure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErieShores

Reaction score
After trying Saranac's Pale Pale Ale this summer, I was intrigued and wanted to try and re-create it. It was tasty and didn't seem too difficult to brew.
http://www.saranac.com/page/pale-pale-ale#
Maris Otter and Centennial hops.
I was shooting for 8 pounds MO
.5 at 60 min
.5 at 36 min
.5 at 1min
I noticed I had an half ounce of amarillo in the fridge from a prior brew. I wanted to keep the IBU's in the low 30's. Not sure if I should add some amarillo or not? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks for the advice Jed but I encountered a problem during my brewday. Here goes...
I decided to all the half ounce of amarillo at flameout, not sure if it was a good idea but I hate to waste hops. I had all of my hops separated into coffee mugs and placed in order on a cookie sheet. My wife decides to walk past my brewtable and accidentally knocks the entire group of hops over onto the table! I didn't know what to do at that point. The LHBS is an hour roundtrip and I had just finished the sparge and was ready to boil. I scooped them up and added three additions of the centennial/amarillo blend. What else could I have done? I doubt it will be putrid but does anyone have any idea how this might turn out?

Centennial and Amarillo are an absolutely wonderful combination, both are fine for bittering, flavor, or aroma additions. There usually isn't a huge difference in their IBUs (Centennial tends to run a little higher, but it's not terribly dramatic). The only potential issue is that it sounds like you didn't measure the hop additions after your wife spilled, so the bitterness, well... you'll have to see. I suspect you'll be pretty close, anyway.

As soon as I read this I realized you are going to have a huge problem. This will be the best experimental beer you ever brewed, and now you can't duplicate it :(

I appreciate the positive responses and Bentpirate, you are right, I'll never duplicate it. What I tried to do is completely mix them together so that at least I had a better idea what was going in the brewpot but it wasn't exact. I threw the numbers in Beer Smith as .16 amarillo and .5 centennial at 60min 25min 1min and went from 30 IBU's to 36. Not a bug deal but I was worried about the flavors and I hope you are right about them being a nice combination, the bird.

I sure hope so, too - the amber ale I brewed last weekend used that exact combination!

Amarillo's one of my all-time favorite hops, and Centennial is right up there, too. Both give that great, citrusy, "domestic" flavor to an APA or IPA. They aren't identical, but they're hops that you can substitute for each other.

Yes the bird, amarillo is becoming my favorite hop selection. It has such a nice grapefruit-like aroma to it (even in raw form). Oh, thanks for the knowledgeable feedback!

Back