Considering a pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridenour64

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have been considering purchasing a brew pump. Specifically the Blichman Riptide.

My goals with the pump in descending order:

1. Increased chill time / ability to whirlpool (I use a jaded hydra)
2. CIP for my spike kettle using the spike low pressure ball - if I could avoid moving my kettle from the stand at all that would be great and would make my brew days more enjoyable. Potentially a unitank down the road if I decide to go that route again. (I know this won’t provide a high pressure CIP)
3. Even heat distribution in my mash and keeping a stable temperature (I EBIAB)
4. Any other uses I find later (suggestions to convince me this is a good idea?)

My questions are:

1. I have a tri clamp port near the top of my kettle that I use for a steam slayer. When I’m mashing, I use a tri clamp cap as the mash volume exceeds this port. For mash recirculating, would I be able to just hook my pump to this port using a tri clamp without any type of diffuser or sparge arm? There will be a bag in the kettle that the flow would need to pass through.
2. For those who EBIAB, do you guys use a pump? (I know some do of course), if so, what are your opinions on my goals for a pump and in general on this topic.

Also, my plan for recirculating mash was to use the element in the bottom of my kettle for any added heat - on and off as needed at maybe 20-40%? Is this a viable option?
I see other threads that say no because of scorching? My controller is a very basic controller 0-100% power and no automation.

If this is a viable option, why do people with electric setups bother with rims tubes at all?

Last edited:
I have no idea why people would use a RIMS tube in an eBIAB rig when there's a perfectly good heater in the kettle. It's way faster to heat step mashes that way with less chance of scorching. The reason you'd use a pump in a eBIAB setup is hands-off mashing with the option of step mashing. If you leave your mash static, you benefit from a full thorough stirring every 10 to 15 minutes of mashing and certainly any time you're adding heat. With recirculation and whirlpooling done together, as well as the use of an actual temperature controller, you can walk away for the whole mash and know your actual mash temperature.

Thanks Bobby. Will you have the tri clamp riptide back in stock within the next few days?

So I pulled the trigger on a blichman riptide, the tri clamp version. I’m pretty excited to see how quick cooling is now. I’m also hoping that I can clean my kettle in place without disassembling each brew day.

Wanting opinions on current idea for set up. Does this look ridiculous lol. I figure the thermowell on the T is the best and most accurate way to get a temp reading. Does this set up pose any issues? My original plan was to have the long end of the T sticking out the furthest but I didn’t feel comfortable with the amount of weight sticking out.
58EDE377-20A7-420F-A8AB-B1564C4C5158.jpeg
9803D2A0-3D52-40BB-ADE5-3ABC8D7FCC3B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back