Consequences of pitching too much yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GringoBandido

Reaction score
I bought a pale ale kit that was supposed to be for a 2.5 gallon batch. I scaled down the malt extract and the hops for a 1 gallon batch so that i could make the recipe twice, except i accidentally pitched the entire yeast packet. We’re on day 2 and the airlock is bubbling at about the rate I’d expect it to, but will there be any other consequences of this?

Thanks!

The only real 'major' problem that happens with an over-pitch is that you will lose some of the character from the yeast. For a pale ale like you brewed, this isn't really an issue because those use a clean yeast profile to let the malt/hops shine, but if you were to have brewed a Saison, Dubbel or any of the other styles that focus more on the yeast profile it would be more of an issue, but still not 'major'. Hope this helps, cheers!

Was that an 11.5 gram packet of dry yeast? One is plenty for a 5-6 gallon batch of medium gravity (1.040-1.060) ale wort.
So a whole package would already be an overpitch for 2.5 gallons of a medium gravity ale.

As @dawn_kiebawls said, a bit of an overpitch is not as critical for a Pale Ale or other beers where hops play the main role.

If you can keep good sanitation, you can save that yeast cake, store in fridge and repitch a part (1/6-1/4) of that in your next gallon batch. Read up about that, yeast keeps on giving.

Back