Connecting flush mount breaker box to control panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MX2150S.jpg

I do have a weather tight cover for the junction box and it is fastened with 2 screws. Not so sure on the receptacle end as I just bought a regular dryer cover plate. This is INSIDE the garage after all.

I understand that.

However, your devices must stay in the same family. Can't mix indoor covers with outdoor boxes and vise-versa. The inspector may even question why you went with weathertite boxes and not use compression (outdoor) fittings on the EMT. (I fully understand because they look better)

Carry on,
'da Kid

I'm not sure that will fit into the hole I drilled into the wall. Maybe if I mount it backwards with the lock nut on the outside of the box? Then I have to deal with a similar issue on the panel itself.

make the hole in the drywall bigger. :D if you pull the cable through and clamp it all down before mounting it to the wall, no worries if you can't access the screws.

the panel should have knockouts rather than threaded connections so the push in connectors will be fine.

I understand that.

However, your devices must stay in the same family. Can't mix indoor covers with outdoor boxes and vise-versa.

do you have a code reference for this? the outdoor box has more protection than required for the location it is mounted in, no problem using a cover that meets the requirements for the area. of course, the box will not meet weather requirements due to a non-weather cover but this is not a weather environment. outdoors, i would agree, you would need a weather box and cover. any other combination of indoor/weather box or cover would not meet outdoor requirements but indoors, you can use any combination you want.

Of sorry. 4-#10awg. Not 3

that's surprising. four #10 of thhn doesn't even fill up 28% of a 1/2" emt conduit. here in the states, you could pull five #10 through a 1/2" if you wanted to. i personally would go to 3/4" conduit at that point, just to make the pull easier.

of course, this conversation is related to thhn (or thwn). if you were pulling in rhw conductors (outdoor rated), nec only allows three #10 in 1/2" emt. rhw insulation is about three times thicker compared to thhn/thwn.

It was difficult enough to pull 4 wires forget 5! If I'd have known how hard it would be I would have bought 3/4" instead of 1/2". I'd like to finish this sometime this weekend if possible. I have to go back to the hardware for the metal cable tighteners and then figure out a way to get one of the plastic ones around the romex jacket and into the box. I got it around the romex fine but was unable to push into the box on the first go round last night.

I finished this project today and will call the inspector tomorrow to get approval. Not in a hurry to do this project again!

I think I did everything per code so hoping for the best. Did you get your receptacle fixed?

You brewing yet Roadie?

Close. I bought a couple hundred dollars in 2015 hops the other day though my son STILL hasn't shipped me the hops I left there. The inspector just left and my electrical work was approved. My new tv mount is here so need to install that to hold the control panel. Need to find out where the water tap is outside for the chiller and get a longer hose for it. Still have to figure out how I'm connecting the RO equipment. I should probably order new filters while I'm at it. I think I'm also going to change out all my beer lines in the keezer as it's been warm for a couple of months now and hard telling what could be growing in them. Plus I want to brew my first belgian tripel and need a 21' dispensing line for that anyway and all I have now are 8 - 10' lines.

But, all in all things are moving in the right direction. First brew will be a rebrew of a Lemon Drop SMaSH beer after which I'd like to get that tripel going. Will probably follow that with a pale ale. Somewhere in there I'd also like to do a cider or two.

Thanks! Still a lot of things to do but I want to be brewing in a couple of weeks.

Back