Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am seriously considering buying a conical fermenter. I would like to be able to brew 10 Gallon and maybe a possible 15 gallon (not necessary) batches in it. I like what I see in the sSS brewing temperature regulating upgrade but am a cheapass and like to DIY though I am not yet a welder.
I would like conical that can stand some pressure for transferring, and maybe be something I can modify a SS coil and thermowell into the lid to maintain temps. The neoprene insulation is nice but I am sure I could redneck rig something otherwise.
My fellow cheapass brewers. What do you reccomend, or should I pay 600-700 for an already made version?
I do have several stc-1000s that I can upgrade with the stc-1000+ imge

I am seriously considering buying a conical fermenter. I would like to be able to brew 10 Gallon and maybe a possible 15 gallon (not necessary) batches in it. I like what I see in the sSS brewing temperature regulating upgrade but am a cheapass and like to DIY though I am not yet a welder.
I would like chronical that can stand some pressure for transferring, and maybe be something I can modify a SS coil and thermowell into the lid to maintain temps. The neoprene insulation is nice but I am sure I could redneck rig something otherwise.
My fellow cheapass brewers. What do you reccomend, or should I pay 600-700 for an already made version?
I do have several stc-1000s that I can upgrade with the stc-1000+ imge
I suggest a stout 12.5 gallon stainless conical they do not have any 12.5 gallon size ones up on thier ebay store at the moment but you can get them from thier website (google stout conical)
http://stores.ebay.com/stouttanksandkettles?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

when the do have the larger size they are under $400 shipped and I use this $60 cooler jacket which works great to control temps and is easy to keep things clean with no coils in the fermentor..
http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool-zone-cooling-jacket.html

it wraps around and stays in place with velcro. and you could make a low budget chiller with an aquarium pump controlled by the stc1000+ and a bucket of cold water in a fridge or icewater in a cooler..
I made a long temp probe from a piece of straight stainless tubing capped of with jb weld and inserted the stc probe in it..I used a #6 1/2 rubber stopper with 2 holes (one for probe and one for airlock) but now I just purchased a triclamp tee and samlping valve to use as a blowoff tube/ connection point for co2 for pushing the beer into kegs (I have done this twice now with no issues)
FYI now that I have this conical and have used it I am determined to replace all my better bottles and glass carboys with conicals as my budget allows... its much easier to clean and works awesome...

IMG_20141226_101259_964.jpg

IMG_20141214_172019_086.jpg

IMG_20141214_204447_788.jpg

heres some pics of the jacket on the conical and my blowoff tube / probe setup

btw the place that sells the jackets does sell these long temp probes with a double hole stopper too..

BTW I have friends who have the SS chronical series conicals and since they are not computer saavy and ss brewing had no phone number listed I ordered them for them and I have to say thier customer service is great and the conicals are very nice but if you are really on a tight budget these work great as well and I like the fact that they are made of a heavier highly polished non magnetic grade of stainless and the tank pops right out of the stand if I want to remove it and clean in the sink, also there are no threads in the ball valves so cleaning/ sterilizing them is easy the welds are also super clean on my unit. You can get them with thermocouples installed for more but I figured this way The temp probe is near the center of the mass and since the cooling and heating pads are around the outside this would be more accurate.

IMG_20150213_083625_225.jpg

IMG_20150213_083655_529.jpg

I went the Chronical route with their FTSS system. Not due to be here for another month or so though.

I plan to get a small dorm fridge and an aquarium heater controlled by an STC-1000 to bring the Conicals up to temp (it's cold here in the winter).

Back