conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will definately work, absolutely. That is, of course, if you only ever plan on doing 5 gallon batches. If you think you'll ever want to move up to say 10, I'd definately go with a 15 gallon one.

If you are new at this, you probably want to start off just buying a fermentation bucket. You can make pretty much the same quality of beer with a $12.00 fermenting bucket as a $600.00 conical.

Wait and upgrade to the conical once you KNOW that you like homebrewing and will be brewing 100-200 gallons a year with temperature control and yeast harvesting!

If you are still new, I would suggest investing your money elsewhere first. There are many things that will help you make better beer that don't cost as much as a conical. Do you have fermentation temperature control(spare fridge and temp regulator)? Are you making yeast starters(Erlenmeyer flask and stir plate)? Do you have an efficient way to chill your wort( immersion, Counter-flow or plate chiller). The size and shape of your fermenter has little to do with the quality of beer on a home brew scale. I have a 15 gallon minibrew conical that I rarely use because it is too large to control fermentation temps.

I have that fermenter. Love it. Bought it from those same guys outta Oklahoma. Had it for around 6 months now and no problems at all. Matter of fact have a ESB ferming in it right now. Good buy IMO.

thank you all for the responses, i wanted to slowly collect all the materials needed for a nice set up, I read a few good reviews for the conical, and after all the advice I think I'm going to stick to my carboy and fermentation bucket, and later on if I get any good at it then I'll step it a notch. also I wanted to apologize to you guys for this post I just came across a few post on the same question next time ill try to dig up a bit more instead of asking questions that have already been answered :drunk: btw do you guys advise building a fermentation chamber with a window AC or a mini fridge, which is more of an enrgy saver?

Back