Conical Causing Carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

chieftain

Reaction score
As the title indicates, I'm a little surprised but it appears my beer is carbing up a bit while it's fermenting in my new 7 gal SS conical. I've been capturing the C02 from the top of the conical to purge the serving keg, running a blow off tube from the serving keg into a container if sanitizer. With that setup, I didn't think any C02 would build in the conical, but apparently it is - both of the samples I've taken have been very foamy.

I'm happy to chalk this up as an unexpected, but ok, surprise. But I'm worried what happens when I dry hop (beer explosion) or when I transfer to the serving keg (super foamy). For the record, I cannot RDWAHAHB because my beer is still fermenting.

Welcome any feedback or ideas.

day_trippr

Structural Duct Tape Sales Engineer
Reaction score
You have a receptive fluid with CO2 constantly percolating through it for the better part of a week. Of course it will retain some of that CO2 as "carbonation". The typical ale will end up with a solid half volume of CO2 or more, depending on the warmest temperature it sees before packaging (which is something good priming calculators will account for).

I barely need to apply any CO2 to my imperial stout before putting it on beer gas, it finishes fermentation not far from the ~1.2 volumes I'm looking to hit....

Cheers!

OP
OP
C

chieftain

Reaction score
You have a receptive fluid with CO2 constantly percolating through it for the better part of a week. Of course it will retain some of that CO2 as "carbonation". The typical ale will end up with a solid half volume of CO2 or more, depending on the warmest temperature it sees before packaging (which is something good priming calculators will account for).

I barely need to apply any CO2 to my imperial stout before putting it on beer gas, it finishes fermentation not far from the ~1.2 volumes I'm looking to hit....

Cheers!

Thanks, I brewed for years before this with a Big Mouth Bubbler, and although I knew the lid was leaky, I didn't realize how bad it was. After I transferred to the keg, I would use the beer leftover in the jumper line for a final gravity check and it was always super flat.