Confusion about HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennisim

Reaction score
So I just picked up my second keg on craigslist to be made into a keggle. I am going to take it to a welder to have him cut the top off for me and also a hole for a bulkhead adapter. I wanted to also install two ports for a HERMS set up but am confused about the parts a bit. What parts do I need (once he makes the holes) to attach a 1/2 silicone tube to a 1/2" Copper or SS Coil on the inside (undecided..)

Can I order basically all the parts from that on bargain fittings? Thanks in advance. I have read so many threads I am now just confusing myself. Hopefully someone that understands this all can just clear it up for me.

I'm pretty sure the guys that install the coils into the kettles use compression fittings. 1/2" male threaded on one side (to screw into couplings you weld into the keg) and a compression fitting of the appropriate size on the other side to connect to the coil.

I didn't want to do that much carving, so my coil is not permenently mounted into a kettle. I can pick it up and out of the thing and move it wherever I want.

Walker, that sounds like a good idea. Do you just use an immersion chiller like design?

Alternatively once I have the holes, could I use bulkhead fittings to attach to the tubing then something to attach to the coil??

Thanks in advance.
-Matt

Walker, that sounds like a good idea. Do you just use an immersion chiller like design?

Alternatively once I have the holes, could I use bulkhead fittings to attach to the tubing then something to attach to the coil??

Thanks in advance.
-Matt

Mine is basically like an IC, but I soldered some parts to it so I could screw my temp probe into it.

If you want to go weldless, then drilling holes and putting bulkheads in it will leave you with 1/2" female ports inside (where you can use those compression fittings I was talking about) and 1/2" male port on the outside, where you can screw on hosebarbs and attach your hoses.

HA. Just saw you were in Chapel Hill.

You're welcome to swing down to my place and check it out in action sometime.

Back