Confusing Gas Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertusBrew

Reaction score
I just kegged an APA and the weirdest thing happened. Or maybe it's not that weird I just have not experienced it until now. When I attach the gas line to my keg (ball lock) CO2 starts shooting out like crazy. But if I turn the gas off and keep the QD attached to the keg it stops leaking. I tried changing the QD but the same thing happened. It seems to only leak while the QD is attached and the gas is on. Any suggestions?

If you are using a 20 or 50 # CO2 make sure that where you got it from didn't give you a Siphon type tank. This would cause the o-ring to freeze, destroy, and leak all over. If it is from Airgas the label will say syphon of the right side above the writing. You can also look around or on the valve for a "S" or Siphon stamped onto it. Also if you shake the cylinder and hear a rattle it is most likely a Siphon. The siphon draws liquid from the bottom, which you do not want at all for this application.

I have 3 other kegs that are all in good working order, and this keg used to work just fine, so I think it might have something to do with the gas post.

But if I turn the gas off and keep the QD attached to the keg it stops leaking.

when the gas is off the leak stops... and that is confusing how exactly...?

seems like a regular ordinary leak somewhere. since gas is escaping very rapidly, it should be easy to figure out where its coming from. you should do that.

Back