Confused with Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzamora3

Reaction score
I got this recipe from the latest Zymurgy magazine and it lists the detailed instructions for all grain but lists an option for extract. If I just did 4lbs of LME it would only yeild an approximate OG of 1.027, which is way low for the recipe statistics. Looking at the other malts in the all-grain, they all need to be mashed, so not an option for me. Am I missing something or should I just add enough LME to get me to 1.052? This is for the Slice of Hefen recipe.

For 5.5 Gallons

4.4lb Durst Pils Malt
5.0lb Rahr Wheat Malt
5oz Gambrinus Honey Malt
4.0oz Weyermann acidulated Malt
0.5oz Sterling (60 min)

Andechs Weizen yeast or similar Bavarian wheat yeast

Boil Time: 90 Minutes
SG: 1.052
FG: 1.012

Extract Version: Substitit 4.0lb wheat malt extract syrup for the malt. Dissovle extracts completly and proceed with boil.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!!

I got this recipe from the latest Zymurgy magazine and it lists the detailed instructions for all grain but lists an option for extract. If I just did 4lbs of LME it would only yeild an approximate OG of 1.027, which is way low for the recipe statistics. Looking at the other malts in the all-grain, they all need to be mashed, so not an option for me. Am I missing something or should I just add enough LME to get me to 1.052? This is for the Slice of Hefen recipe.

For 5.5 Gallons

4.4lb Durst Pils Malt
5.0lb Rahr Wheat Malt
5oz Gambrinus Honey Malt
4.0oz Weyermann acidulated Malt
0.5oz Sterling (60 min)

Andechs Weizen yeast or similar Bavarian wheat yeast

Boil Time: 90 Minutes
SG: 1.052
FG: 1.012

Extract Version: Substitit 4.0lb wheat malt extract syrup for the malt. Dissovle extracts completly and proceed with boil.

Let me know what you think. Thanks!!

I cannot log in to the AHA for some reason to see the recipe, but it should have said to replace the the pilsner malt with extract also. I believe you use .73% of the weight of the grain when replacing with liquid extract. so 3.21 lbs of Pilsner LME.

The honey malt and acidulated malt can be steeped in the water before you boil. Though I would not think you would need the acidulated malt since you are not doing a mash.

Thats what I was thinking but didn't know for sure. I have attached a picture of the recipe directly from the magazine.

sliceofhefen.jpg

Looks like you found a recipe error! Not the first time Zymurgy or BYO have a mistake in the recipe. Looks like editor error, because the second line under Extract Version says "dissolve extracts..." so obviously they are suppose to be plural extracts.

Since they used 80% if the wheat malt for wheat extract, 80% of pils malt extract would be 3.52 lbs. Use an online recipe formulator like on Brewer's Friend and play with the the pils extract numbers until you hit the OG.

If I was to brew this but use DME instead of LME, would that alter the amount of extract used?

Most wheat extracts are made from half wheat malt, half pils malt. So 8lbs wheat extract, no pils (cause its in the wheat extract)

The extract instructions say to replace the malt with extract. To me, that is saying to replace all of the grain with 8 lbs. liquid wheat extract. This make sense since wheat extract is actually a blend of wheat and barley.

Okay, makes sense now. Looking at the Briess website, the LME and DME are 65% malted wheat and 35% malted barley.

I'm going to try this recipe all grain BIAB. I normally do 90 min mash, so I assume for this one I'll do 30 min at 113F and the last 60 min at 156F?

Seems like a mighty quick fermentation too, but temps up to 74F probably get you there...

if you normallly do a 90 minute mash, thats 90 minutes at the sac rest (156) the protien rest wouldnt count. But.... I dont know your set up, I cant see how conversion wouldnt be complete at 156 in half that time.

if you normallly do a 90 minute mash, thats 90 minutes at the sac rest (156) the protien rest wouldnt count. But.... I dont know your set up, I cant see how conversion wouldnt be complete at 156 in half that time.

I need to read up on the protein rest and it's purpose.

I normally do 90 min. BIAB mashes just because that seems to be the conservative train of thought. There are people out there claiming that conversion is complete within 30 minutes...

I need to read up on the protein rest and it's purpose.

I normally do 90 min. BIAB mashes just because that seems to be the conservative train of thought. There are people out there claiming that conversion is complete within 30 minutes...

The higher the mash temp, the quicker the conversion. At 156 Id expect 20 minutes on my setup. At 146, Id let it go 90. (In general. There are other variables, I dont do BIAB, so I dont know how that would effect things, especially if its full volume/no sparge I assume the thinness of the mash would have an effect, but I have never had the need to research.)

Well I brewed this yesterday, with a couple differences - hope it turns out great though.

I only hit 1.049 OG, and I pitched a bit warm at 71F, then put in temp chamber set for 68F. I also used WLP300 yeast instead of the Andechs Weizen yest recommended. I should look into how to get some of that stuff since I don't think my local store carries it. Also, I made a 1.020 OG 1L starter for the yeast, but this recipe calls for the yeast count to be low.

Next time I'll try to hit it a bit closer depending on how it turns out...

Back