Confused Lagering Virgin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
IM getting ready to rbew my first lager but im confused... shouls the primary and secondary both be lagered at 45-50f or just the secondary. JP wrote that one of the keys to a good lager is to have a 10-15f difference between the primary and secondary? And this is an oktoberfest if that helps.

The temp you have is for primary fermentation. Lagering is cold storage, usually even colder than that, closer to freezing.

Cool thanks, so how do you know when to transfer it into the secondary. And do most people do a diacetyl rest(60f for a day)?

Primary fermentation is done when the beer is close to FG, expect it to take two weeks or so. I always do a diacetyl rest just to be on the safe side, there's no drawbacks to doing one.

Once in the secondary vessel, lower the temps gradually until you reach lagering temp (as close to freezing as you can) and hold it there for a few months.

It's all worthwhile in the end.

OK thanks Mikey,
is there any disadvantage to using a standard refridgerator. I know a lot ofpeople use those refridigerator controllers but why not just use a beer fridge. I know the temp may not be EXACTLY what you expect but do you really have to be that anal about it?

SpecialEd said:
I know the temp may not be EXACTLY what you expect but do you really have to be that anal about it?

If you're not anal about things, how do you expect to become an EAC? :D

It really doesn't matter how you get there. I have a batch of Helles lagering in my GF's garage right now. It's constantly 3 to 5 degrees above freezing, close enough for me.

You do need to control the fermentation phase- leaving it at room temps just wont cut it.

Lol thanks mikey,
Of course im anal but being anal about one thing usuallymeans you neglect somehting else lol. Thanks.

Consistancy is the key to good fermenting temps as well as lagering temps.

You can lager at a higher temperture, but just don't expect the same result. I'm
not saying that you won't make a good lager at a higher lagering temperture, just that it won't be as good as it could have been.

Lol hands off fellas my dad could whoop your dads arse. Here is my plan plug in minifridge, adust internal thermometer on my fermometer until it is around 35-40f. Then I can just put it in there when im ready to secondarily ferment, that way it will take a couple of days to get the actual beer down to that temp, but once it is then it should stay there. Good??? Oh and I think a refridigerator is an excellent place to lose your virginity...

Back