Conditioning Tablets to Carbonate??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alers22

Reaction score
I am doing some 1 Gal test batches and would like to bottle each batch AND have it carbonated. Assuming I add campden tablets to stop the fermentation when the sweetness is where I want it, would the conditioning tablets still carb the cider in the bottles??

If not are there any suggestions for bottling a small batch carbed cider?

Thanks for the help!

After the campden tabs are applied, the priming tabs wouldn't have an effect as the yeast isn't active or alive any longer.

Since you have a kegging system and want carbed cider with some residual sugars, I highly suggest applying the campden tabs when it's where you want it sweetness wise, force carbing it in a keg, and bottling with : https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

Campden doesn't kill wine or ale yeast, and is used as an antioxidant. If sorbate is used, it inhibits yeast reproduction and that will work to stop fermentation from restarting.

The thing is, it doesn't go away so the yeast won't magically wake up and ferment the priming sugar. The yeast is either stopped, or not. It won't do both as it can not differentiate the difference.

These are only 1 Gal batches so kegging is not an option. I thought about just drinking these ciders "still" and making a 5 gal batch of the ones I like which can be kegged.

OP appears to have same belief that I used to - that carbonation drops are magic and they dissolve to make bubbles (technically they do, but you get what I mean).

Used to think they were like alka seltzer ;)

Back