conditioning question with high attenuation yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jobt32

Reaction score
Edit: I ask this as a general information of medium atten. yeast compared to high atten. yeast -- not a request for how long I should let my beer condition. I can taste it and figure it out.

I made a 10 gal batch of a blonde recipe and split it into 2 6.5 gal fermenting buckets. OG of 1.055 I pitched danstar nottingham into one, and danstar belle saison into the other.

I make the recipe often enough to know that after 3 weeks the nottingham is good to go into the keg, normally a FG around 1.010. (5% ish abv) This is my first time using the saison yeast. It finished at 1.001. (about 7% abv)

I'm fairly new to brewing, I've learned that high gravity beers need longer to condition. does this apply in the situation of higher attenuation yeasts because of the additional alcohol in the beer? or since it was the same OG going into it, it should require the same amount of conditioning regardless of alcohol?

Any help is very much appreciated!

Kevin

High gravity fermentations are more stressful to yeast, generally, which is why they can need more time to age. But most ales, properly fermented, are best fresh and require little to no conditioning time. The only advice I can give is: if the beer tastes good, drink it! There's no need to condition a beer that tastes fine, and there's a lot of fermentation problems that aging won't fix.

Back