Conditioning Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuntman

Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this in a forum:

If a recipe states a FG, THAT is where you STOP fermentation, by putting it in a cold environment. 1.015 or less you can prime with priming sugar, you do like me and go all the way to 1.003 it turns out dry. Fruit beer I have done in the past, letting it go as far as it can (1.003 or so) had to be back sweetened.

The Brew Masters, STOP at the correct FG and chill the brew, then let it set in the frig for a few more weeks to condition (just enough CO2 to seal the cap on kegs). My last pull on the New Castle laced! I MIGHT have one or two more pints, but it laced! I was at a dilemma, room temp or refrigerated. I know now, you have to take gravity readings, if you want to store for a long time, when gravity is reached, you better chill it to hibernate the yeast (higher = sweeter, lower = dryer).

This is all, my assumption, probably wrong. I need to understand this conditioning thing. If there is another thread please direct me. Thanks in advance for your time.

You don't stop the yeast. They'll stop when they're ready to.

If your beer ferments down to 1.003 theres a good chance it has an infection.

One uses mash temps, yeast strain and other brewing techniques to target an FG. If the FG is too high or too low, you adjust those parameters next time you brew to get closer to what you are targeting.The yeast ferment till they are done you don't stop them.

The yeast eating more sugar does not affect FG?

Of course it does.

You can't just stop at whatever FG you want and say we're done. The yeast don't have ears, they can't hear you. You're done when they say you're done.

You don't stop the yeast. They'll stop when they're ready to.

I have not heard this before about if it ferments down to 1.003 there is a infection.

Using Brix conversion, I had an SMaSH mashed at 152 just 2-row and cascade go from 1.046 to 1.004. In brix this was 11.28 (OG) to 5.08 (FG) and it smells fine, still a little green but only been in keg for 5 days or so.

Any more opinions on the infection statement will help me understand.

Thanks,
Jeff

I have not heard this before about if it ferments down to 1.003 there is a infection.

Using Brix conversion, I had an SMaSH mashed at 152 just 2-row and cascade go from 1.046 to 1.004. In brix this was 11.28 (OG) to 5.08 (FG) and it smells fine, still a little green but only been in keg for 5 days or so.

Any more opinions on the infection statement will help me understand.

Thanks,
Jeff

1.046 isn't real high to begin with and there were no other grains to add unfermentables, but that's 87% attenuation. Most beer yeasts won't do that on their own.

It was nottingham, at first I thought it did not ferment down at all because I did not know about the corrections you need to do with a refractormeter.

I switched to using it after September and thought I had stuck fermentations all of a sudden.

They say that converstion can still be off by alot and a good hydrometer is best if you want real accurate numbers after fermentation.

How did you figure out that was 87% attenuation? Can learn something else today...

Jeff

Sorry, I goofed, it's actually 91% attenuation. (not enough coffee yet)

.004/.046 = .0869
1-.0869 = .913 = 91%

Why do you say that? Doesn't really make sense.

Unless you're starting with an extremely low OG, most beer yeasts won't attenuate enough on their own to end up with a FG that low.

Why would you want a FG that low anyway? It would taste like watered down vodka.

I'm not saying you'd want one that low. However, that statement isn't true. Per BJCP guidelines there are some beers that finish that low. To simply state that anytime you get an FG that low it is the result of an infection is misleading.

To simply state that anytime you get an FG that low it is the result of an infection is misleading.

I didn't say "anytime you get an FG that low". You're putting words in my mouth.

I said "unless you have an extremely low OG"

Then I said "most beer yeasts won't attenuate enough on their own". The key word here is most.

I didn't say "anytime you get an FG that low". You're putting words in my mouth.

I said "unless you have an extremely low OG"

Then I said "most beer yeasts won't attenuate enough on their own". The key word here is most.

You're right, you didn't say "anytime", however your original statement below implies that anytime your beer ferments down to 1.003, it is likely there is an infection.

I agree with your clarification, I'm just trying to provide some clarification to the OP.

You're right, you didn't say "anytime", however your original statement below implies that anytime your beer ferments down to 1.003, it is likely there is an infection.

I agree with your clarification, I'm just trying to provide some clarification to the OP.

If my original statement does imply "anytime", I apologize. That's not what I meant when I typed it.

However, I don't think that "a good chance" implies "anytime".

So when I brew/rack/keg, I am looking to reach approx FG and then put in frdg?

Or do I let the gravity keep going until I get the same reading for four days straight, and then keg?

I am getting this part (I think) after kegging, leave it alone for at least two weeks @ correct pressure for the style. The two-three weeks IS the conditioning that will let the proteins get right, and obtain full carbonation?

One uses mash temps, yeast strain and other brewing techniques to target an FG. If the FG is too high or too low, you adjust those parameters next time you brew to get closer to what you are targeting.The yeast ferment till they are done you don't stop them.

I like this, I have Beer Smith, just not familiar yet. I have run three brews on my new setup, and am ready to get serious on targets to be able to replicate a brew every time on the nose.

Thanks bja,

I wrote:
Or do I let the gravity keep going until I get the same reading for four days straight, and then keg?

You wrote:
yes

So 4 days same reading, I must be going WAY past that time to let FG go that low. All my beer is good, but like you said it is watered down to me, I thought conditioning was my problem. I am not taking readings and only moving beer when it is convenient.

I don't oxygenate, but I do a good starrter, with stir plate. This last previous yeast cake (boy it took off well).

Conditioning is only in the keg under CO2, right?

Is there a point that is too long in the fermenters? I might start driving again, and won't be able to watch it as much.

I'll stop with this one, sure do appreciate all of yals help.:mug:

I usually let them in primary for 4 weeks. Longest has been 6 weeks with no problems. I've heard of people letting them in primary for 3-4 months without issues.

Back