Conditioning after cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John_FL

Reaction score
I have a scenario I haven't been able to find in the forums. I fermented a Trappist for six weeks in primary. I then cold crashed for two days w/o taking a sample. Probably not the best idea. I then kegged after the cold crash and put it back in my fermentation chamber at 70 f. I took gravity at kegging time and had great attenuation. I also tasted some and it was good but not great. My question is, after the cold crash is conditioning going to do anything? I probably didn't bring too many yeast along into the keg because of the cold crash right? Or am I wrong in this assumption? Will I benefit from further time at temp. Or should I call it a day and serve? The off flavor was a bit grassy, young beer flavor.

Edit: oh and I haven't done anything yet, carbing wise.

I will assume this is a high gravity beer, if so they can take months to properly condition. Just let it sit and try it again in a few more weeks and keep going if necessary.

My question is, after the cold crash is conditioning going to do anything? I probably didn't bring too many yeast along into the keg because of the cold crash right? Or am I wrong in this assumption? Will I benefit from further time at temp.

Yes, you will still benefit from conditioning. Think about a lager - you condition for multiple weeks/months after cold crashing. There's a benefit there.

Conditioning is more than just sitting on a dormant yeast cake. Various compounds continue to drop out of solution and other flavors mellow with time. Time is your friend.

Perfect! Thanks for the help. It is relatively high, o.g. of 1.068. I Used the WLP Trappist yeast with a starter and it attenuated to right around 1.01. I usually stick to lower gravity beers, so I'll just have to relearn a new time scale. Fortunately I've brewed every weekend for the last two months, so my pipeline is ridiculous right now.

Glad to hear I didn't screw myself with the cold crash.

Thanks again!

1.068 isn't really all that high, I would think it would be ready to drink after 6-8 weeks - but if it's tasting green you can certainly continue to condition it - I don't think it'll hurt anything.

Thanks for stopping me from doing anything stupid. It hasn't been that long and the off favors are really mellowed out. This is turning out to be my best beer I think! And this is prior to carbonation.

Back