Concord Stainless Kettle vs Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that's the conclusion I am coming to. How do you think they compare to the bayou classic or the tall boys?

Better thicker and cheaper than b/c, cheaper than TB but it has a tri clad bottom which is not needed IMO. So apples and oranges to TB.

I think there is perceived value with b/c and tb that doesn't really exist.

They are all made in China, so sont let the concord eBay brand away you IMO.

Hard to beat a nice 15 gal SS for 100 shipped period!

Still love mine! Never brewed with a b/c but have walked up and thumped one with my middle finger. It sounds like a tin can when compared to the Concord.

And they can look pretty good with a little modification too! ;)

BK Volume Marks.jpg

Nice mod! What did you use for the level markings?

Check this great thread out:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f257/how-add-permanent-volume-markings-kettle-illustrated-463099/

I have a 15-gallon which I haven't used since March because I moved to induction inside. I'm moving back out to a shed and going electric, where I will use my concord. I wish it were the same ratio as my 15 gallon b/c, but overall, I find it to be a very good kettle. I did get the holes pre-drilled and I regretted that a little at first. With some help from Bobby and Brewhardware, I was outfitted with a proper dip tube that made the high 4" hole a non-issue for me. It's a solid kettle and for about $125, I had everything I needed for a boil kettle.

I do not agree that the b/c sounds like a tin can when you flick it with your finger. Both my 10 gallon and 15 gallons are sturdy as all get out, they appear thick and I do like the punched volume markings.

Since I have a "ballington" (made by the same people who make the concord brand line) and 2 bayous, I can certainly agree the bayou is super thin compared to my ballington and it does ding very easily. I dont even know where the two dings I now have came from... Funny thing is I've been using my ballington for a bk and it gets moved from room to room every brew session to be cleaned and the HLT bayou classic doesnt move. The MT does however since I dump it in the compost bin and clean it in the sink each brew. I have dings in both now whereas my ballington still looks new after over a years use vs a couple months on the bayou classics...

BTW I have 2 16 gallon bayou classic with welded handles and stamped markings.... Nice kettles just paper thin compared to all my other pots and kettles... they certainly sound much different when tapped against anything hard. (and leave a mark most of the time :) )then again they are thick enough to do the job fine and depending on what one has on hand to reference them against ...

I read the amazon revies on them and there was at least one where the kettles were so thin in areas that there were actual pin holes through them and the kettle leaked..(there were pictures to show it). I noticed the thickness changes near the base of the kettle where they are stamped. the reviewer claimed they came that way and he didnt use them after purchasing them months earlier... he could have just as easily left bleach water in them and it ate the stainless... I use to see it happen to barsinks all the time... same pinholes.

Check this great thread out:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f257/how-add-permanent-volume-markings-kettle-illustrated-463099/

I have a 15-gallon which I haven't used since March because I moved to induction inside. I'm moving back out to a shed and going electric, where I will use my concord. I wish it were the same ratio as my 15 gallon b/c, but overall, I find it to be a very good kettle. I did get the holes pre-drilled and I regretted that a little at first. With some help from Bobby and Brewhardware, I was outfitted with a proper dip tube that made the high 4" hole a non-issue for me. It's a solid kettle and for about $125, I had everything I needed for a boil kettle.

Someone asked earlier about induction compatibility with the Concords but I didn't see any replies. Reading between the lines I'm guessing you found the Concord not usable for induction or was there some other reason for not using it inside?

Nice mod! What did you use for the level markings?

I used the etching method that Hello posted below. Really very cheap and easy mod to do. Most time consuming part is the measuring of where your volume marks need to go and the tape layout to make your lines look neat.
Sorry for going off topic...

My kettles are holding up great. I have three 20 gallon kettles and had multiple 1.5" tri clover fittings welded into each. I also had a a trub dam tack welded to the bottom of my boil kettle as each of my kettles are bottom drain for my electric setup.

Since I have a "ballington" (made by the same people who make the concord brand line) and 2 bayous, I can certainly agree the bayou is super thin compared to my ballington and it does ding very easily. I dont even know where the two dings I now have came from... Funny thing is I've been using my ballington for a bk and it gets moved from room to room every brew session to be cleaned and the HLT bayou classic doesnt move. The MT does however since I dump it in the compost bin and clean it in the sink each brew. I have dings in both now whereas my ballington still looks new after over a years use vs a couple months on the bayou classics...

BTW I have 2 16 gallon bayou classic with welded handles and stamped markings.... Nice kettles just paper thin compared to all my other pots and kettles... they certainly sound much different when tapped against anything hard. (and leave a mark most of the time :) )then again they are thick enough to do the job fine and depending on what one has on hand to reference them against ...

I read the amazon revies on them and there was at least one where the kettles were so thin in areas that there were actual pin holes through them and the kettle leaked..(there were pictures to show it). I noticed the thickness changes near the base of the kettle where they are stamped. the reviewer claimed they came that way and he didnt use them after purchasing them months earlier... he could have just as easily left bleach water in them and it ate the stainless... I use to see it happen to barsinks all the time... same pinholes.

I also have the "Ballington" branded version of a Concord kettle. Its thick and honestly WONDERFUL for an HLT. I have a 20 gallon that I use as an electric HLT with 2 ball valves, a whirlpool fitting and one of Bobby's site glasses.

For a boil kettle, though hop separation should be your #1 concern and flat bottomed kettles have nothing on Keggles. That domed bottom helps a lot with leaving hop crud behind unless you plan to go with a hop spider.

Personally a keggle with whirlpool fittings installed is just an unbeatable boil kettle for pellet hops regardless of which type of chiller you use; a hop spider makes it even better and then makes it also work great with whole hops.

Adam

Back