concerns with my latest brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
About four weeks ago I did my first all grain batch which did not go as smoothly as I planned. I didn't expect it to go without a hitch. I did yoopers dogfish 60 clone with different hops. I did BIAB because I don't have a mash tub built yet. First off, I bought a bigger pot so I can hold the grain and water for it. The thing was leaking so I took it back and exchanged it for another one which leaked but stopped once it heated up. I hit my strike temp and place the grain in. The grain over flowed the bag and got into the wort (I filtered at the fermentation bucket. It was hard to keep the right temp to hold. I think the thermometer wasn't as far into the grain as need. After that the boil and the hopes went as planned while fishing out floating grain. After the boil, the wort was less than hoped (5 gal) so I added water which made the OG drop.

This is the first dry hopping I did and when I bottled tonight there was a lot of hop fines in the wort and not a compact yeast cake like my past brews which I kicked up massive amounts of yeast andhop fines into the bottles.

I hope it will settle out once in the bottle but my concers are it seems like I missed my color. Inslead of a dark burgundy it was a light lager but I know ipa can be like that. I think I missed my og from what yooper said. Do y'all know what I could of done wrong? Probably my efficenty was crap because it was a first time all gains. I wait and see once it is carbonated. This might be my first dud I made. Any input will be appreciated. Cheers!

I wouldn't count this beer out just yet, don't knock it 'til you've tried it! I really wouldn't sweat the color, I make two different IPAs, a lighter one and one that is more red.

As for efficiency, there are lots of factors to look at. How fine your grain was crushed plays a big part in the efficiency. Was this grain crushed by your homebrew shop? Some of the shops in my area tend to mill customer's grain at a less than ideal gap because there is less of a chance the customer will have a stuck sparge. I haven't done a BIAB myself, but I believe that many of the BIAB'ers crush their grain pretty fine. Maybe someone can chime in on this. Also, make sure the grain is stirred in really well, no dry spots. It wouldn't be a bad idea to stir the mash multiple times during the rest. Some other items that could have played a role in your efficiency issues would be whether or not you sparged as well as your water:grain ratio.

All in all, you've got the first all grain under your belt. Learn from the brew day and work to remedy the issues you had in your next batch. :mug:

I got it milled at the LHBS which looks like now I have to get a mill. Which is on my todo list for brewing. I just live in a small apartment that does not have enough room to clean equipment and brew for me. I like everything spread out not packed around me lol. I'm definietly waiting too see how this brew turns out and first all grain has its difficulty but was an experience. I'm kinda of a perfectionist for my hobbies and want them to be the best I can make them. If I spilled (I did bottling) I get a little upset. Its just one of those days that seems like everything gets in your way and makes you mad lol.

How did you filter out the hops prior to bottling? If I miss my pre-boil volume I just roll with it, rather than adding more water. I'd rather hit my gravities and just make a little less beer, but others may disagree

Keep some DME on hand and add it if your eff% is no good. That way you have the amount you want when all is said and done.

I didn't filter them out. I didn't have anything I could filter them out on hand. So they went into the bottle and hoping they will settle in a few weeks. That DME is a good idea, I'm definitely going to grab a bag next time I get ingredence. Now I wish I took the og before I diluted it. Good thing it wasn't too far off from 5 gals.

I tried the BIAB thing too. It's too hard to regulate the heat unless you have an oven that's big enough to put your entire brew pot in. I finally just picked up a 10 gallon cooler off CL and made my own MLT with the instructions in the DYI forum.

My 2nd AG using the homemade MLT turned out MUCH better, hit my OG almost dead on. Save yourself some hassle and just make your MLT it's only about $36ish + cooler. You'll be happier in the log run.

That's probably I'm going to do next. I just tried BIAB because of less equipment needed and seemed easy enough. I have a bunch of stuff I need to get and build in the near future to help me brew better which in the end the mash tun will help me greatly

When I do BIAB, I put the water in the kettle and raise it to strike temp, stir in the grain real well, check the temp, put the lid on and wrap the kettle in a bath towel and drop another one on the lid for extra insulation. Usually only loses a couple degrees over the hour and I don't worry about that because most of the conversion is done in the first 15 to 20 minutes if the grains are crushed fine.

I might try BIAB again. I wrapped my pot in an old sleeping bag which seemed it got too hot so ill try bath towels next to have less insulation. I think my problem was it wasn't crushed finely enough. Just need to get a grinder and do it my self so I can get it where I need it

There is a good and bad for everything. The LHBS sold me some defective bottles (can't really blame them). So I have a oppotunity to try this beer because why waste this one. Its actually going to be promising once it fully carbs and chills. I thought I messed this one up but its drinkable. Always RDWHAHB and wait till you taste it before you dis it lol

Back