Concerned about light...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goplayoutside

Reaction score
So I am gonna brew up another batch of red tonight. I ferment in a 5gal bucket and got an aquarium heater that maintains 65-70f in my utility sink, I plan to use this for a water bath because we have some cool nights here and I think the yeast on some previous batches has flocced out early on me.

My concern: will the little bit of light that gets in the basement put beer in a white plastic bucket at risk? We only have one or two small windows up at ground level and the sink is back in a corner. I guess I could always try to find a pillowcase to put over it or something...

Anyways I am looking forward to this one -- the last batch of red is drinking solid and I am switching to DME (from LME) and using a late extract addition with a larger boil, hoping to cut down on caramelization and "twang." Of course the LHBS didn't have the same hops in that I got from them last time so the recipe will be different, but at this point I am trying to prove to myself I can get something clean and dry tasting before worrying too much about the specifics of the flavor profile. Besides, I got fuggles which I have only ever liked. Woo-hoo!

Don't worry about the light. Doesn't sound like you have much down there anyway, plus those buckets do a good job of blocking. Might want to get a 6.5gal primary though if you plan on doing any wheat or high gravity beers.

+1 an Ale Pail will do just fine. I still wouldn't put it directly in the path of the incoming light, but it's not in significant danger there.

Thanks for the help, folks. I will sleep easy, knowing at least that simple sunlight will not render my dollars and hard work a waste!

Oh, and re: 6.5 gal carboys: I used to brew in carboys but was moving often and doing a few brews in one place, then in another (across the country), so I switched to ale pails because they all fit inside one another, and then you can stuff the top one full of other crap saving space in my small car. It works and the beer doesn't seem to mind a bit!

Back