Concern over bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MclovinBeer

Reaction score
I just bottled a batch of Irish stout using a kit from Midwest. I'm worried about bottle bombs, because my FG was a little high. The FG was supposed to be between 1.010-1.012, but I got a consistent reading of 1.016 for 3 days. My hydrometer states that you need to add .002 for every 10 degrees over 60 F, so the actual reading could be 1.018. My OG was 1.042 which was in the correct range. I went ahead and bottled anyways since the reading was consistent for 3 days after sitting in my primary for 2 weeks. When I moved the fermenter back to my kitchen to bottle, a 1/4 inch layer of what appeared to be krausen head started to appear on the surface. Also, it is supposed to be a stout, but the color is closer to that of an amber. One of the areas I may have gone wrong is not crushing the steeping grains enough. I couldn't find my roll pin so I used a vodka bottle which didn't work particularly well. The grains were not shipped pre-crushed. Also, I accidently used a 4.5 oz packet of priming sugar from another kit instead of the recommended 5 oz packet (perhaps this reduces my chance of bottle bombs). I tasted the beer and it tasted fine. Does anything about my beer seem unusual, and do I need to worry about bottle bombs? I have them stored in a large ice chest right now, so if they explode no harm done other then lost beer.

Since your readings were consistent, you are probably fine, but do I understand you had your beer at 80 degrees? It was that just your sample?

Anyway, consistent readings plus less priming sugar means very little chance for bombs.

Your color is probably from poor crush, but without your recipe there is no way to tell for sure. Make sure to get them crushed if you don't have a mill.

By the way, your foam on your bottling bucket was probably just CO2 off-gassing from solution when you jostled the beer or it warmed up.

Since your readings were consistent, you are probably fine, but do I understand you had your beer at 80 degrees? It was that just your sample?

No the beer was at 70 degrees. The hydrometer is calibrated for 60 F. The correction factor on the chart include with the hydrometer is +.002 for 70 F.

Your color is probably from poor crush, but without your recipe there is no way to tell for sure. Make sure to get them crushed if you don't have a mill.

Also, here's the recipe: 4oz chocolate malt, 4oz caramel 10L, 4oz roasted barley, 4oz flaked barley specialty grain, 6 lb dark liquid malt extract, 1tsp gypsum, 1/2oz nugget hops, 1oz Williamette hops. Yeast was Munton and Fison dry yeast which I pre started.

Back