Concentrated Wort Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaz5833

Reaction score
I started out brewing 3 gallon batches in all grain and have all the related gear sized to this volume.

For Christmas, I received a 6.5 gallon Mini-Brew conical and am now on my second batch. The first was an Irish Red, which is my best to date, and I attribute this to the new conical. I only brewed a 4 gallon batch due to the constraints of my other gear and brewed using a concentrated wort as described here:

http://www.classiccitybrew.com/homebrew.html.

So far, all the batches I have done this way have come out just fine. My brew pot is bursting at the seams with 4-1/2 gallons and I can cool it down below 75 degrees in an ice bath within 15 minutes.

Wanting to go bigger, I decided to do another concentrated wort for a 5 gallon batch and brewed up an Oatmeal Stout on Sunday.

I am lowering my grain/water ratio for the mash and adding cool water after the boil to reach my target OG. I am batch sparging in an Igloo cooler with a SS braid manifold. Both times I hit target OG at the desired volumes.

Now the questions:

Is there anything wrong with this method? (I like what I'm brewing, but would it be better otherwise)

If I am doing all my calculations based on 70% efficiency and hit a target OG at the desired volume - am I getting 70% - or is there something I'm missing?

Any input is welcome.

Is there anything wrong with this method? (I like what I'm brewing, but would it be better otherwise)

nope, used to do it often and it works well. you do marginally have to correct for IBUs tho

If I am doing all my calculations based on 70% efficiency and hit a target OG at the desired volume - am I getting 70% .

yes, but always have to be wary of SG accuracy when topping off, since its tough to get a uniform mix of water & wort.

Back