concentrated pressure canner wort as pseudo-LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
i've started pressure canning wort for starters. 2 batches so far have worked well. i usually do about 1 oz DME per 1 cup of water, which brings the gravity to around 1.040-1.044. i got to thinking if it would possibly work to triple or even quadruple the amount of DME to make a high gravity quart of wort (ha!) that i can use to help increase the gravity of a brew, the same way you would use LME.

i use a grainfather and have used LME a couple times for high gravity brews but thought this option might be slightly more diy.

i figure i would need to adjust the water volume to substitute some of the water used, either mash or sparge. would this cause any issues with PH or tanins or anything else?

....and just realized the obvious answer would be to just add the DME to the boil to raise my gravity. doh! i guess this is more of a hypothetical 'can it be done?' also hate how clumpy DME gets.

Back