Computer geek friends- help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The time has come. I need a new desktop. I LOVE my old Dell Dimension with Windows XP. I would love to keep it but it has 512MB of RAM, and it's become super slow as you can imagine.

My question is what would you do? Buy some RAM and add it, and plug along? (I've had this computer for nearly 12 years!) The hard drive isn't large, but it's a long way from full (less than 50%).

I really only use Beersmith, a few other word processing programs or spreadsheets for Bru'nwater, and general internet stuff like this forum. I don't play games, except for stupid facebook games. I Skype my grandkids in the winter, and play my spotify station a lot.

If I have to buy a new tower, I will. But I like XP a lot, and I like my programs and the setup. It's just that browsers and spotify suck up what little RAM I have and lags are even more frequent.

If you were buying a new tower just for the absolute basics, what would you get, and why?

Thanks for any thoughts or input!

Hey yoop! Time to let XP go! Windows 7 is a safe bet and will be around for a while. Wish you would have told me sooner, I usually have enough spare parts laying around to slap something together. If you want to squeak by for a while, I have some ram I could send you, but XP really should go. Can you get the model of the dimension you have now? Its probably safe to say it'd be better just get a new computer. Desktops can be had cheap. If you're just doing basic tasks, it doesn't take much. I can keep an eye on slickdeals if you are on the cheap.

Come to the dark side. Get a laptop. You'll never go back. You haven't lived until you've browsed the internet while sitting on the toilet. :D

You can still get Windows 7 laptops too, so you'll have a nice easy transition from XP.

Hey yoop! Time to let XP go! Windows 7 is a safe bet and will be around for a while. Wish you would have told me sooner, I usually have enough spare parts laying around to slap something together. If you want to squeak by for a while, I have some ram I could send you, but XP really should go. Can you get the model of the dimension you have now? Its probably safe to say it'd be better just get a new computer. Desktops can be had cheap. If you're just doing basic tasks, it doesn't take much. I can keep an eye on slickdeals if you are on the cheap.

I found a Dell small desktop, Inspiron 3647, for $239 with windows 8.1.

My current computer is a 9100.

Come to the dark side. Get a laptop. You'll never go back. You haven't lived until you've browsed the internet while sitting on the toilet. :D

You can still get Windows 7 laptops too, so you'll have a nice easy transition from XP.

Oh, I have two laptops, a netbook, and a smartphone.

My netbook has windows 7, and I like it just fine. I still like a desktop. I take the laptop (Bob uses one) and a netbook to Texas in the winter (and keep a laptop and a netbook at my lake house), but I still mostly want to use my desktop when I"m home. I have a home office, with two desks, two desktops and a network printer- with a small TV and a three tap kegerator. I pretty much live in this room.

I don't use the TV much, but I use the kegerator more than I should. :drunk:

Oh, I have two laptops, a netbook, and a smartphone.

My netbook has windows 7, and I like it just fine. I still like a desktop. I take the laptop (Bob uses one) and a netbook to Texas in the winter (and keep a laptop and a netbook at my lake house), but I still mostly want to use my desktop when I"m home. I have a home office, with two desks, two desktops and a network printer- with a small TV and a three tap kegerator. I pretty much live in this room.

I don't use the TV much, but I use the kegerator more than I should. :drunk:

In that case I'd look for a Win 7 machine on clearance, or a refurb. You can probably get a kick-ass machine with an I3-I5, at least 4Gb RAM, and .5 Tb of storage for $300-$400. That should last a long time. I don't think you can beat Dell on price, but I'm a Lenovo fan.

I have one in my garage that I use for Pandora, NFL Sunday Ticket, and BeerSmith (for my cloud recipes) when I brew. you gotta have music when you're brewing.

The Dell computer will be fine. You could always plug a mouse and a monitor into your laptop and run dual screens and would be better than what you have. Have Beersmith on one monitor and HBT on the other.

According to this thread, the Dell 9100 can support up to 4GB of RAM, but if you have 32-bit XP, it only recognizes 3GB. 2GB is $25 from some seller I don't know about on Amazon. At Crucial, it's $40. I'd probably go with the cheap stuff and see if I could squeeze a few extra years out of the Dell.

That's something I don't know, if I have 32-bit XP. It seems like I used to know, but now I have no idea. Where can I find that info? If I can spend $25, and eek out a couple of years, I'd be happy.

I have photos and music and beersmith files on this computer. Not a huge deal to transfer I suppose, but I really don't want to if I don't have to!

Last edited by a moderator:
or a refurb.

Please don't do that.

I learned my lesson after trying to cheap out twice on refurbs. They never work out. Remember, they were returned for a reason.

Do what you want, but remember that you get what you pay for.

If you are content and don't care about security (have nothing on it you can't afford to lose) get the memory and drive it until the wheels fall off. Just don't do anything on it that you want to keep secure. At that age you probably have a 32 bit system.

I work in IT so i can be of some help.

I would say for your needs just get a cheap desktop or a cheap laptop.

The thing is your comp is 12 years old. The type of RAM you would need is probably not made any more and would be hard to find. to upgrade parts for that comp would be kind of hard cause of its age. i would suggest just getting a cheap laptop or desktop which should be a huge leap from what your using now.

Most modern phones probably are 10x faster than your comp and they fit into pockets.

Oh and btw windows XP isnt supported by M$ anymore. Windows 7 is much more secure.

If you do end up with a Windows 8 machine do yourself a huge favor and go out and get Start8. It will make Windows 8 usable for you. And whatever you do make sure you get a good antivirus if you use that machine on the web. A 64 bit machine is safer and more secure by design. There is even 64 bit Chrome now.

That's something I don't know, if I have 32-bit XP. It seems like I used to know, but now I have no idea. Where can I find that info? If I can spend $25, and eek out a couple of years, I'd be happy.

From Microsoft (formatting is better if you follow the link).

If you have Windows XP, there are two methods to determine whether you are running a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version. If one method does not work, try the other method.
Method 1: View the System window in Control Panel

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
For a 64-bit version operating system, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
For a 32-bit version operating system, Windows XP Professional Version <year> appears under System.

Note</year><year> < Year> <year> is a placeholder for a year.

Method 2: View the System Information window

Click Start, and then click Run.
Type winmsd.exe, and then click OK.
When System Summary is selected in the navigation pane, locate Processor under Item in the details pane. Note the value.
If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with x86, the computer is running a 32-bit version of Windows.
If the value that corresponds to Processor starts with IA-64 or AMD64, the computer is running a 64-bit version of Windows.

If you cannot determine the operating system bit count by using these methods, go to the "Next Steps" section.</year></year>

Mine says "media center edition" and nothing else, except 2002 in the first method.

In the second, it says x86.

I guess that answers one question- thanks!

I'm about 75% convinced I'm getting a new (cheap) computer.

All Media Center editions of XP are 32-bit. I think all of the other posters make good points about the benefits of upgrading to a new computer. But, I'd get the 2GB of RAM for $25 and see if I could go for another couple of years... I upgraded my XP machine to Win7, and now I have to upgrade my 2GB of RAM, as Firefox sucks up all the memory. If you want to get rid of XP, then you really should start new.

I would not waste time upgrading the old XP machine. You would be far better off with a new one.

Some choices:

$419 for an decent HP desktop. HP Desktop

Or if budget allows, $499 for a good upgrade over the above Dell Desktop

Last edited by a moderator:
At 12 years old, be sure to save all the files you really want to another device. Use a thumb drive, another hard drive or CDs. I suppose a Cloud type deal is okay, but I like to be the one holding my files.

We've a Dell XPS with W8. It's two or three years old and has had no issues.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned to build your own.

It can have a learning curve but lends itself to easily upgrading in the future and you end up with a much better machine. I've seen some pretty good deals on an Intel i5 processor and motherboard lately and most of the other components are cheap(minus the Windows operating system).

It can have a learning curve but lends itself to easily upgrading in the future and you end up with a much better machine. I've seen some pretty good deals on an Intel i5 processor and motherboard lately and most of the other components are cheap(minus the Windows operating system).

I find that when going for something in that price range it is far cheaper to buy than build. When going for a high end computer then building one is the better option.

Don'ts:

• Don't build your own (I always do, but for reasons that you wouldn't need)
  • don't Linux,
  • and run away from Win8.x. Win 7 is a great OS, and if you're comfortable with WinXP you won't see too much difference.
  • don't get a laptop if you have a place for a desktop. Laptops are never as good (keyboard, screen, video, etc)
  • don't use your old monitors. If they are really 10 years old, the resolution is probably crap. New monitors aren't very expensive. Get high res and as large (inches) as can fit on your desk. Our old eyes need stuff to be big :)

Do's:

• 8G ram or better. It will help a lot in a couple of years when you have a billion odd services and such running in the background. Out of the box, it's not so important.
  • Consider two monitors (or more!). This isn't a geek thing, it's a wonderful way to be much more productive. It's as simple as plugging the second monitor into the box if you make sure the video card in the computer supports two monitors. I have 3 side-by-side and am thinking about adding one more.
  • Dell isn't the king anymore. Lots of good boxes at Best Buy and such. You can ask those places to remove all the advertising and crap that comes on a new PC (I think they charge $30 or so to do that, you could also do it yourself by just uninstalling all of it). Buying locally let's you mess with it a bit (this is how you'll know what I mean about Win8)

The time has come. I need a new desktop. I LOVE my old Dell Dimension with Windows XP. I would love to keep it but it has 512MB of RAM, and it's become super slow as you can imagine.

My question is what would you do? Buy some RAM and add it, and plug along? (I've had this computer for nearly 12 years!) The hard drive isn't large, but it's a long way from full (less than 50%).

I really only use Beersmith, a few other word processing programs or spreadsheets for Bru'nwater, and general internet stuff like this forum. I don't play games, except for stupid facebook games. I Skype my grandkids in the winter, and play my spotify station a lot.

If I have to buy a new tower, I will. But I like XP a lot, and I like my programs and the setup. It's just that browsers and spotify suck up what little RAM I have and lags are even more frequent.

If you were buying a new tower just for the absolute basics, what would you get, and why?

Thanks for any thoughts or input!

As someone who sells computers for a living. You probably should just upgrade. Finding your RAM will probably be tricky. It will likely involve a handful of annoying things like downloading software to check specs or to open your case and read off the RAM. 12 year old computer probably has a super slow processor as well.

Without seeing the unit or what ram you need you may spend at least 50 bucks on RAM. For about 400 bucks you can get an i3 tower with 4 gigs of ram. If you are willing to buy today, Staples has a coupon for 100 bucks off PCs 499 and up. So you probably can get this guy for about 450 which has a pretty nice i5 using coupon code 11605

http://www.staples.com/HP-Smart-Buy...-3rd-Gen-Intel/product_IM1RC0226#desc_content

or you can go to an i3 with 8 gigs of ram for the same deal
http://www.staples.com/Dell-Inspiron-I660-3049BK-Desktop-PC/product_12241

Or this same fun gaming PC

http://www.staples.com/iBuyPower-Power-ST700-Gaming-Desktop-PC/product_164304

Or a number of other ones. That would be how I'd go. no reason to spend way more and you're setting yourself up for potentially having another 12 year computer.

The first search result on Ebay for "desktop" turned this up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-DUAL-C...1501774712?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item3ce2b86b78

Although I do suggest shopping around for at least a Core I3 or an AMD quad core you get the idea, used desktops are bargains on ebay, and I wouldn't be scared of them especially with buyer protection and many of them having 30 day money back guarantees.

I can understand the need for a desktop in an age where many others do not. I don't have the greatest vision in the world so I love my 24 inch monitor, I love the comfort of a nice desk chair and having everything in one place. My computer desk is "my yoda". I don't watch much tv but instead spend time with my desktop or reading my Kindle. I own laptops, I use them for work and travel only.

I had a garage business for years repairing computers and building customs, and I still do some business on Ebay, trust me when i say all name brand computers are equally cheap made so it doesn't matter much which brand. Your machine is outdated and the RAM (although you could find it on ebay for probably less than 10 bucks) is only 1 of it's many problems. As others have mentioned don't bother with Windows 8. If you don't have a nice size LCD monitor I would suggest devoting some of your budget to that, it makes a HUGE difference.

Disclaimer: I build/spec engineering grade workstation systems and am IT for a small company and my preferred Microsoft OS is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Windows 8(.0), burn it with fire! That is not a concern on the PC you spec'd out.

For your needs, IMHO, there is no reason to fear the Dell with Windows 8.1 unless driver support isn't there for your printers/scanners/camera, ect. This is one thing most home users overlook when asking about upgrading from XP.

For the average home user that runs one or two desktop programs (Beersmith, word processor, basic photo editor) and is on internet 99% of the time, Windows 8.1 is fine. It will start in desktop mode and just may take some getting used to for everything else*. You may find you will enjoy the new APPS environment for some things if you are used to tablets and smartphones. My wife and kids prefer Windows 8.1 over Windows 7/XP for this reason.

If you are "power user" or a home business owner that needed a business class system, we would have more discussion and not just shoot from the hip.

*Free 3rd party programs (Classic shell, ect) can soften the blow of jumping into Windows 8+

What is your purpose for a desktop? If it is just to have a larger screen, keyboard and mouse then most likely you can connect all of them to one of your laptops.

What is your purpose for a desktop? If it is just to have a larger screen, keyboard and mouse then most likely you can connect all of them to one of your laptops.

Cost. Good luck finding and i5 8 GB ram for under 600 bucks in a laptop. You can find a few but that's about it. A few.

As far as other reasons to go desktop. Upgradability, cost of repair, and many more. If I have a 15 inch laptop and want a larger laptop I can't easily upgrade it. The other issue you run into (as I've played into with my laptop) is that you have to set up your laptop in annoying way to run an external monitor.

Yeah, but what if something goes wrong... She doesn't have the knowledge to troubleshoot and there isn't any warranty, only the manufacture warranty for the hardware. I've been building comps myself since i was 13 and its very easy for me but i wouldnt advise people with no knowledge or exp to go off and start building their own comp.

My last build i got some bad RAM. I ran Windows memory test on it and came back clean. i then ran memtest86+ on each individual stick and found the bad one. If a someone new to building comps was in my situation, it would be very very frustrating. For me it was just annoying isolating the bad stick and sending in a RMA.

Lorena: I would build a new computer from scratch. You can get a really inexpensive build if you know someone who knows the tech and is willing to help ya. XP is dead, so go with Win 7. Win 8 sucks IMHO so avoid it at all costs. Use a website like Tom's Hardware and find their cheapest build, purchase those parts, and put it together. Or get a techy friend (yeah, I will do it if you ask) to build you a system and ship it to ya...even though you body checked me and embarrassed the bejesus outta me, I still think the world of ya!! Cheers!!

T

What do you guys think is more difficult, building an electric brew panel or a computer?

HA! for me the electric panel since ive never done it before. Building a comp is very very easy. If you dont know how to you can watch youtube vids on how to do it. The only down side to building your own for a new person is what i mentioned in my other post.

Don'ts:

don't Linux,

Out of curiosity, why? It really has come a long way. It sounds like Yooper has a "set it up and then don't mess with it" mentality for computers, and Linux would work well for that.

I realized there is a learning curve, but only really to do advanced stuff. And even then, the Google has been able to answer any other more advanced questions.

Out of curiosity, why? It really has come a long way. It sounds like Yooper has a "set it up and then don't mess with it" mentality for computers, and Linux would work well for that.

I realized there is a learning curve, but only really to do advanced stuff. And even then, the Google has been able to answer any other more advanced questions.

I understand your affinity to linux. Believe me, I get it.

It's not a good idea for casual users. She is still hooked on WinXP. Does it sound like she's into a learning curve?

Latest posts

Back