Compressor motor for Barley crusher?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendavanza

Reaction score
I had a oiless compressor throw a rod almost in my face the other day. The tank is now a piggyback to my other compressor. The motor looks smaller than most of the motors I see being used with a BC but the compressor says it's rated at 5HP (peak). Here are pics of the motor, it has fan cooling on the end, and I think I can separate it from the compressor unit. I imagine I'll need a serious pulley to slow this thing down, and I don't know the RPM of the motor itself. Here are pics. Input is appreciated.
Currently I use the BC with a geared Milwaukee 1/2" drill which works great but the drill is so heavy, it becomes awkward and I have had some mishaps.
I was hoping to motorize this rig with stuff I have here, for the most part.
IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1011_2.jpg

Picture_4.jpg

Picture_31.jpg

IMG_10061.JPG

Anything is possible. It should have the torque but you are gonna have to search out the RPM to properly match the pulleys to a useful speed lest you have a speed controller too.

Hell, I rigged mine with a trolling motor.

If it runs on 15 amps, then the 5 hp is very 'peak'. Continuous, it is probably less than 1 hp. Plenty for your application and it already has one reduction step. I would be surprised if it was anything other than 3600 rpm, as mechanical speed reduction is way cheaper than winding a multi-pole AC motor.

The reduction step that is built in happens to be the flywheel for the compressor. I might be able to put a pulley on the backside of the flywheel, but the frontside is offset for the stroke of the motor.

Sounds like you'll be better off finding new pulleys. An old dryer is a good source.

I'm betting the motor turns 1'800 rpm though 3'600 is a possibility. I think the motor will be 1'800 because I'm guessing that is a better speed for the air compressor.

What RPM are you looking for a grain mill? I have a high speed fan motor, and now an icecream maker motor and gearbox i could use. As well as the old trolling motor.

Back