compost question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got around to building a compost bin for my garden and spent grains. It's a simple design (I'll post photos after the snow stops), but my question lies not with the compost bin, but rather what goes in it... or what should stay out of it.

Is there any compost able material that I should keep out of the compost bin because the product will ultimately end up back in my hop beds.

The grain's gotta be ok, but what about leaves and grass clippings? food waste? ashes from the fire pit?

What needs to be avoided??

And I've also heard about additives like gypsum and other minerals???? anyone have experience with this?

Avoid animal byproducts such as fat and grease. Any vegetable matter is fine. Some ash is fine to mix in as well.

You want to get a good mix of carbon sources such as leaves and dried grass with nitrogen sources such as fresh cut grass and vegetable matter.

dont put ashed from the grill in it...and dont put dirt from around the hop mounds. next year when you freshin up the mounds, that dirt will have small runners in it. And you put that in compost pile, it can lead back to the hop mounds.

But if you only have one type,you dont need to worry about that. if you have more than 1 type of hop..well they will get all mixed up.

once you get some hops growing in the compost pile,you cant use it on hops. I have 1 pile for flowerbeds,1 pile for garden.

You want a mix of green and brown matter in the pile.

Grass clippings, yard waste, leaves, kitchen scraps (avoid grease!), coffee grounds, etc.

If you use fertilizers on your lawn (weed and feed, etc) you may want to wait a bit before putting those clippings in the compost pile. The packaging does say to not use the stuff anywhere near anything your going to eat. I put mostly lawn clippings, leaves, spent grainsand vegetable food waste in my composter. I have heard that you dont want to use ashes if you burn a lot of paper due to the ink and other things that can be in paper.

Remember to remove any rubber items from dead bodies you may be trying to dispose of.

Things like tennis shoes can decompose and leach that rubbery flavor in to your tomatoes.

Oh and second to olllllo’s suggestion, check said body for weed before adding to compost pile. Nothing should go to waste.

Remember to remove any rubber items from dead bodies you may be trying to dispose of.

Things like tennis shoes can decompose and leach that rubbery flavor in to your tomatoes.

Oh and second to olllllo’s suggestion, check said body for weed before adding to compost pile. Nothing should go to waste.

Are you sure your in the correct thread there BM?

I have a huge pile of old hay and goat and llama poo from cleaning out my shelter and hay feeder after winter. I'm guessing it consists of 400-600 pounds of hay. Once it starts breaking down I should have a very nice supply of compost for all my needs. Should be getting some chicken soon so I'll start mix chicken poo into it too which will raise its nutritional value nicely.

Back