Complex yeast problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
I have an imperial stout og 1.12, fg 1.024. I intend to bottle condition it for about 5 months. I primed it with 1/2 the usual amount of priming sugar due to the long conditioning period and the high fg.
I was concerned that with such a high fg, the yeast(white labs irish ale) had already done all that they could do and were paralyzed by the alcohol. I did not filter or anything like that.
After 1 week, there is apparently no carbonation yet. Is it too soon to worry?

If the yeast are in a high gravity stupor, will they even touch the priming sugar? I know that kegging is preferable with this kind of beer, but I have not made the leap yet. I don't mind waiting 5 months for a little carbonation, but I would hate to wait 5 months and have flat beer.

I am wondering if you should have added some finishing yeast? I have never used that strain of yeast but that alcohol % is fairly high at 12.9% ABV currently and i doubt those little guys can live with that strength.

My thoughts exactly, have you tried "krausening"? I thought I might put some yeast into a little boiled water and sugar(once cooled) and put a little into each bottle after it gets going a little bit. Hard to measure, but I just want a little carbonation.

It's probalby too early, but pooped yeast seems likely.
I would add some yeast to only part of the batch and see what happens, if it carbs up do the same to the rest.
Don't add more sugar unless yeast only doesn't work, once you add it you can't get it back out.

It sounds like you've bottled tham already. If so it is too late to worry. You should brew something quick to condition, like a pale ale, so you have something to drink. Leave the Imperial Stout alone until Christmas. If it still isn't carbonated, brew a new one. That beer will be really good in Christmas of 2010.

Back