Complex sugars/starch for extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewch

Amateur Zymologist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried adding starches/complex sugars other than maltodextrin to extract recipes for lambic-inspired beers?

I know brewers who have succesfully used (uncooked) pasta added to mixed culture fermentations. These weren't extract beers, but that shouldn't matter.

You could steep some base malt or unmalted grains. This is essentially what a turbid mash does.

I steeped a bunch of oatmeal to make ~3 gallons of "oatmeal tea" and used it to backfill headspace when I moved from 20 gallon primary to a 15 gallon secondary fermenter and ended up having way too much space.

As a bonus we made a big tray of baked oatmeal from the oats themselves after we strained them.

Going into the primary, however, it was all DME + maltodextrin.

Just bottled last night after 13~14 months. Sampling so far seems like it's done okay for itself.

I steeped a bunch of oatmeal to make ~3 gallons of "oatmeal tea" and used it to backfill headspace when I moved from 20 gallon primary to a 15 gallon secondary fermenter and ended up having way too much space.

As a bonus we made a big tray of baked oatmeal from the oats themselves after we strained them.

I wonder if you could combine these ideas and presoak some pearled barley and steel-cut oats; drain the starchy liquid to add to the the wort; and combine the grain with some flour for a multi-grain bread.

I'm sure you could.
Isn't that a somewhat common thing for brewer's/breweries to bake with their spent grains?

Although, adding all this steeping runs the risk of undermining my objective in going back to extract in the first place. At a certain point, I might just as well do the turbid mash... 😅

Back