Completely Lost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerPrime

Reaction score
Hey All!

I am getting into beer brewing for the first time. As with any new hobby, I am a bit lost and need some help.

I've found a beer recipe that I am interested in making. Here is the recipe that I found:

5 lb American 2-row
3.3 lb American Munich
0.75 lb Crystal 60
0.5 oz Hallertau
0.5 oz Tettnang
0.38 oz Hallertau
0.38 oz Tettnang
0.25 oz Hallertau (dry)
0.25 oz Tettnang (dry)
Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

From this recipe, the Malt Grain is what is tripping me up. As someone who has never brewed beer, I don't have the first clew on how this is done. I was reading online that Malt Extract is far easier to work with, but I haven't the slightest clue on what type of extract would be equal to the Malt Grains listed above. Is the malt grain to malt extract a 1 to 1 conversion? Or is it something like .5 pounds of extract per 1 pound of grain? Is the process when using extract the same as a unprocessed grain?

Thanks!

Extract is easier to use...... especially doing your first few beers. However, before you get too far down the road, the recipe you have above is for a lager and will require building a yeast starter and fermenting at temperatures in the high 40's-low 50's with pretty precise control. As this is your first beer, you might not quite be ready for that.

I would really recommend maybe starting with an extract kit or two that are "ales" as opposed to lagers. There are a number of great home-brew stores that have huge selections of kits. Where are you located? Some people might be able to give you some good recommendations.

No intent of being harsh here, but if the grain bill is causing you issues, the fermentation schedule and temps for a lager are really going to trip you up unless you have done some research and can control low fermentation temp. That said, there is a grain to extract conversion. Many calculators are supported on the internet and believe Beersmith has one as well, but don't think all grains are supported by an extract equivalent - use case is really intended to replace your base malt in most cases (the 2 Row in your case). Speciality malts are still included/required in kits. If you are just getting into brewing, highly recommend a quality extract kit or BIAB recipe. Do some research on both and take a shot at it to learn some fundamentals. Volumes, temperatures, time schedules, fermentation, yeast pitch, etc. GOOD LUCK!!!

Here's a similar recipe from Beersmith, using extract and steeping grains. It's a "warm fermented" lager.

QIRsGgH.jpg

zRyoNCa.jpg

This will give you an idea of the process, timing of hops additions, etc.

And NO the process is not the same.
Using grain requires more time and details to create the wort that is fermented. Extract (liquid and Dry Malt Extract) has already processed the grain so that you only need to mix it with water. (In specific proportions and temps)

Kind of like cutting, squeezing, straining, mixing lemons with sugar and water to make lemonade versus adding water to powdered lemonade mix.

Many start with extract and stay there and some movie to all grain. Extract is quicker and allows you to learn the process by eliminating some of the steps.

I still remember being a new home brewer. I just finished my 51st batch, but I still remember.

IMO, it's usually best for new brewers to start out with relatively simple recipes and processes until they nail down how to do it. Brewing is relatively simple, but it is not simplistic. Starting with a more complicated recipe/process, which you propose to do, is not, IMO, the path to success for someone new.

So--a simple ale recipe would be a good place to start. Think on where you want to be in 3 months after, say, 3 or 4 brews, and how to get there so that it's a successful journey.

If you can find someone locally who brews who would allow you to watch a brew session, it would pay you huge dividends. I did that, and it made a big difference when I read things and could place them and understand them.

A reasonable place to start if not is to buy a kit and brew that. If you have enough dinero to do so, look at this kit from Morebeer.com:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-homebrew-starter-kit.html

It has the best combination of items I've ever seen; nothing is close. Has a chiller, kettle, hydrometer, star-san, spoon, fermenter w/ spigot....all you need is a heat source and bottles. I just looked it up and they even have a 15-percent off special on it. It includes an extract kit so for under $200 you have everything you need plus a kit to get started. Free shipping, too.

It's a stunningly good deal, IMO.

So it seems like the general consensus is:

1. Use Malt Extract
  2. Make an Ale because it is easier to ferment (temp wise)\
Will the recipe that I listed still turn out to be decent if I brew as an ale (with an ale yeast?)

So it seems like the general consensus is:

1. Use Malt Extract
  2. Make an Ale because it is easier to ferment (temp wise)\
Will the recipe that I listed still turn out to be decent if I brew as an ale (with an ale yeast?)

I don't think it would turn out to be terrible, but neither would I expect it to be all that good. The two-row and munich malts are fine, the issue is the hops.

Here's the problem new brewers face when they want to experiment: if it doesn't turn out, is it that the recipe is poor, or there were process mistakes made? You can't tell.

For that reason, I think it makes the most sense to brew a tried-and-true recipe the first few times so that you don't have to concern yourself with recipes. Everyone wants to experiment--you're nothing special in this regard :)--but IMO it's really not the best way to go at the outset.

My 2 cents. Mongoose out.

Thanks for that, I appreciate all of your opinions.

What types of hops should I look to use for an ale?

When I first started brewing I watched dozens of youtube videos and read as much as I could. It seems as if you are even unsure of what process you will use (all grain, partial mash, extract). I would do some research on those, see what process you want to do for your first batch, then use a recipe from online or buy a 5g beer kit from a beer store like morebeer. My first was a sierra nevada pale ale partial mash clone for a few reasons. It's an ale, I like that beer, I have access to it to do a taste comparison which let's me see how close to the beer I am. Research as much as you can before you jump in

Because the Munich malt is a base malt it needs to be mashed instead of steeped. What's the difference?

A base malt has starches that get converted to sugars by enzymes that work in only specific temperature ranges. That range is usually considered to be 148 to 160F. The malted grains have to be crushed or ground to allow the hot water to access the starches, then added to water that is hot enough that the cooler grains will bring it to the specified range and left there long enough for the enzymes to work. The resulting sweet liquid, called wort, has to be separated from the grains and for best efficiency, the remaining grains should be rinsed with fresh water. Now you have a quantity of diluted malt extract, much like you would if you took your liquid malt extract and added water to it.

All of the above posts offer some sage advice. Walk before you try to run.
I'm new to brewing as well. I started last September with extract kits, and have brewed 8, so far. I'm just now looking to upgrade to BIAB, accumulating equipment as I go. The premium starter kit mentioned above seems like a great place to start. Unfortunately I didn't run across it prior to starting.
I've learned a tremendous amount from this forum as well as on line vids and books. Do yourself a favor and start with an easy to manage extract kit. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for that, I appreciate all of your opinions.

What types of hops should I look to use for an ale?

I'd suggest finding a specific recipe and following that. Kits are nice in that they have all the items needed for the recipe. IMO, @Kent88 is spot on with the advice to look for a style, not ingredients.

For example, here's a list of the extract kits at Northern Brewer:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits

If you can't find something there that looks interesting.... :)

If you want to see what the instructions might look like for one of those, here's an example from Northern Brewer; if you click on a specific beer, then on the "additional information" tab, you get the instructions. Here are the instructions for the Caribou Slobber extract kit:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/CaribouSlobber.pdf

They've already selected ingredients, including hops, that work in this beer which, IIRC, is a brown ale.

I guess I will be the first to say it, but find out if you have a local homebrew shop. If you do, I would start there and talk to the person about what you're trying to do. They can typically build out a kit to your liking, and they will/should have everything on-hand for you to buy in order to get off the ground.

More times than not, prices are cheaper online; however, it's nice to sit down and hash out idea with someone in person and to bring them beer to guinea pig on. Consider that cost difference an investment. I do both ... buy stuff online and in the store.

Here's my $.02 as a noob myself (brewed 6 batches so far) and extract is the easiest as it requires the least investment and knowledge to get started. However, if you spend just a bit of time doing some online research, you can go straight to all-grain with no issues--that's what I did. You can make this as hard or difficult as you want. All of the major online retailers have FAQ/how-to-brew sections, plus there's more youtube videos than you can shake a stick at. IMO you are ahead of the game by finding this site.

I brew small batch (1 gal) BIAB on my stove and my first 4 brews were all-grain kits purchased from an online retailer -- they all turned out pretty good. For my last 2 brews (which are currently bottle conditioning) I chose 2 popular recipes from here on HBT (Yooper's Oatmeal Stout and Beirmuncher's Centennial Blonde), went to my LHBS, bought the grain, and milled it myself at home. I also use software to help me: Bru'nWater for water chemical adjustments and BrewSmith for everything else (recipes, mash profiles, water amounts, etc).

The bottom line is this is a really fun hobby--jump in at your comfort level and let the fun begin.

Last edited:
Here's the problem new brewers face when they want to experiment: if it doesn't turn out, is it that the recipe is poor, or there were process mistakes made? You can't tell.

For that reason, I think it makes the most sense to brew a tried-and-true recipe the first few times so that you don't have to concern yourself with recipes. Everyone wants to experiment--you're nothing special in this regard :)--but IMO it's really not the best way to go at the outset.

^^ best advice in the thread, IMO.

I totally get it... the tendency to look at the idea of making one's own beer as this grand blank canvas on which the aspiring brewer can dream up their own joyous concoctions and yadda yadda. But without experience using different types of ingredients, to learn what they bring to the table, you're completely shooting in the dark, and disappointment is virtually guaranteed.

Taken to extremes, you'll get people posting messages to say "First brew day tomorrow... I have a bag of mangoes, some chai tea, and a big carrot that I want to add to secondary. How should I go about this?"

Tried and true recipes are the new brewer's friend. I think the first 7 or 8 beers I ever made were pulled from the "Top 100 recipes on HBT" blog post series from a few years ago. LOTS of great stuff in here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/homebrewtalk-top-homebrew-recipes-24-1.html

To the OP, I concur with all the above advice and just keep asking questions here too. It's a very welcoming, friendly board with lots of people that like to help.

I brewed with Mr.Beer extract kits for about a year or so before I got the guts to jump to 5 gallon partial mash. Mr.Beer is a good and simple way to get started and if you don't move any further you didn't spend a whole lot on equipment........... That's my2 cents!!

Allot of GREAT info on this forum!!!

I brewed with Mr.Beer extract kits for about a year or so before I got the guts to jump to 5 gallon partial mash. Mr.Beer is a good and simple way to get started and if you don't move any further you didn't spend a whole lot on equipment........... That's my2 cents!!

Allot of GREAT info on this forum!!!

I made over carbonated corn water with my Mister Beer kit, years ago.

@dipshyt (omg, I just got that...) is right that Mr. Beer kits are a decent place to start. I certainly don't think they're the greatest extract kits out there, but you can make some decent beers using their extracts, and back when I was making beer with their kits they had pages of simple ways to modify what they were selling. Different extract combinations, suggestions/recipes for fruit, spices, pumpkin, etc additions.

I think it helped me understand what I needed to do for sanitation, fermentation, and bottling.

But I think that a kit from MoreBeer, Northern Brewer, or your local homebrew supply would ultimately be better.

Back