complete joy of homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bn163

Reaction score
purchased & have read Palmer's How to Brew, & was wondering if Papazian's Complete Joy would be worth reading after Palmer's book. does it have anything to offer that Palmer's book didn't?

If not worthwhile, any suggestions for good homebrew reading?

purchased & have read Palmer's How to Brew, & was wondering if Papazian's Complete Joy would be worth reading after Palmer's book. does it have anything to offer that Palmer's book didn't?

I would read it if i where you alot of the same but alot of different approaches and recipes

If you are beginning brewer, I would read several books to get a good feel for the process. Palmer's How to Brew is one of the best, but I read it late in the game so I probably appreciated it more. There are lots of different ways of brewing, every brewer is probably a little unique in some respect.

Some book reviews on brewing are here:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/category/bookreviews/

I read Papazian's book first and enjoyed it. I've read probably all of Palmer's book off and on through his site. I can say it definitely wouldn't hurt...

I am reading it now. I have also read Palmers. Different opinions about the same things in some parts but for the most its overlap. but you never know what you might learn, and if you like reading you will deff learn a few things even if they are not specifically related to the brew process(such as the history of a type of beer)

I read Papazian's and keep meaning to get Palmer's. It helped with the basic process, but I learned a lot of newer techniques here.

I read Papazian's book first and enjoyed it. I've read probably all of Palmer's book off and on through his site. I can say it definitely wouldn't hurt...

The printed book is on its third edition but the site does not get updated with the added information.

Papazian's book is really pretty outdated. It's definitely worth a read if you're into the history, but if you're just interested in learning how to make beer I'd read the current edition of Palmer's How to Brew, then Palmer and Jamil's Brewing Classing Styles and Daniels' Designing Great Beers. If you like Belgians, Brew Like a Monk is a must. Radical Brewing would be next on the list after those.

As others said before, C. Pap's book is kind of old. However, even today there is much to be learned from people like Plato and Aristotle (see what I did there? Fun metaphor :D)

When I first started brewing I read every book I could get my hands on from cover to cover, regardless of whether I've seem the information elsewhere. It's never a bad idea to read and reread stuff you're going to use all the time. And then when you're done you can use the books as bathroom reading material so you can fill even more of your day with beer stuff!

I read J. Palmer's book first, and now I'm reading complete Joy. I like it. It's fun, and has a lot of different information that is helpful. I think it will lead me to be less uptight about brewing and have more fun with it. ;)

I read C Pap's book first. And have subsequently read it 3 or 4 more times. I thought it was great and very insightful and learned a lot. Recently I read Palmer's, 1st Edition online (loved having it online!) and I intend to pick up the 3rd edition and read it as well.

Palmer's latest book will feel way more congruent with what you are reading here on HBT.com and is absolutely worth the price.

Papazian's book is great for those who want to know how it was done in the 80's and 90's with less sophisticated equipment and malts of questionable qualities. Papazian's all grain reicpes are all about step mashing and temperature rests. Now-a-days, casual brewers bypass that in favor of the simpler single infusion process. I like papazian's book for the historical content/context as well as the way he describes ingredients and the recipes.

Neither book is the be-all and end-all of what you need to know to brew your own beer.

Ayup. Papzians book is thorough and simplistic. And rather out dated. Not that procedures have change, much, over the years but there are more current books to gander at.

Have a look at www.beerbooks.com for inspiration.

I like Papazian's RDWHAHB attitude towards homebrewing. Palmer has more information, but it's presented in a less casual attitude. Some of what we normally do now while homebrewing has changed from Joy, but there is still a lot of good info, and it's an interesting read. You can never have too many brewing books.

I like Papazian's RDWHAHB attitude towards homebrewing. Palmer has more information, but it's presented in a less casual attitude. Some of what we normally do now while homebrewing has changed from Joy, but there is still a lot of good info, and it's an interesting read. You can never have too many brewing books.
And I heard that Papazian's recipes are nothing short of great.

I brew many of Papazian's recipes and have enjoyed almost all of them. For me the book is worth it just for the recipes, of which many can be modified to suit your needs. I read his book first and still believe it is a classic read for learning to brew.

I'm a big fan of both Papazian and Palmer.
Papazian deserves credit for what he has done and continues to do for homebrewing. Palmer offers a more current approach, but I still go back and read Joy fairly often.:mug:

Back