Complete in 24 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
So I know my beer isn't truly done fermenting but in just about 24 hours my beer was bubbling away Nicky and developed a nice layer of Krausen. Went and looked a few minutes ago and it's gone. Airlock has pretty much done down to no action either.

Would doubt you've hit FG after 24hrs. The first 90% can go that quick, but you have plenty of time to pick up a (several) new hydrometer('s), before worrying about taking a reading.

70 degrees ambient or wort. If ambient your wort may have gotten to about 80 degrees which is ideal for the yeast to ferment the beer and most of the fermentation might have passed. It is not ideal to ferment that warm as it is likely to produce off flavors. Look into making a swamp cooler to control your fermentation temperatures if you are not already doing so.

So it's okay to start at 80 bit drop down to like 68 to 70 wort temp

Kh54's post is a little confusing. Not sure if he (she) meant its ok to start there but not ferment? Maybe there was a typo or an autocorrect. (Edit: After re-reading, maybe he mean you will get lots of action - ideal for things happening, but also lots of esters - not ideal for minimizing extra flavors).

Anyway, if it was me I would make sure to start a little below the intended temperature range and allow the brew to warm into the range. This ensures a slower, more controlled fermentation with fewer off flavors. This is what I USUALLY do.

This is NOT the case in situations where you want esters and the like....sometimes you specifically stay outside of the range to get banana or clove flavors, for example.

Is there a good way to measure temp of the wort? Seen the little stock on thermometers

The stick-on thermometers cost a couple of dollars and are usually a pretty good bet. The other option is a thermowell, but I don't know the cost there. Basically it is a probe that goes into your beer and you put a thermometer in it.

I use the stick-on thermometers, but I also keep my carboys in a tub of water (at least for the first week or so), and I measure the temperature of the water bath. I'm under the impression that the water bath is within a couple of degrees of the wort temperature.

II have a dorm fridge maybe I'll just build a fermentation chamber

Back