Competitions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
How do you find out about competitions? I know about a few but is there a good database? Website?

Doh I was just there and I didn't see the link. Thanks

Now if there is a competition in NY can I mail in a bottle? I thought mailing was a no-no. Blue laws and all.

Fish said:
Now if there is a competition in NY can I mail in a bottle? I thought mailing was a no-no. Blue laws and all.

Don't send it through the USPS. I think shipping across state lines for commercial purposes is illegal, but I'm not sure about competitions or gifts. Good question!

ayrton said:
I think shipping across state lines for commercial purposes is illegal, but I'm not sure about competitions or gifts. Good question!

FedEx and UPS don't want you to send alcohol either, but it is not a felony as it is with USPS. As far as I can see it right now, it's a don't ask don't tell thing.

Kai

I just signed up for the Long Shot thing and they have a notice that says - Yeah don't use USPS. Private companies are fine but they might refuse it if they know its alchi or glass.

Is Sam Adams changing the rules this time?

On the site they say they will choose 2 grand prize winners and possibly brew those beers. This years had three winners.

They say that any employee of the Boston Brewing Co. is ineligible. The brewer of the wheat in this years contest is an employee.

Lastly, they say to keep the OGs of the ales below 1.068, the old ale with 10.6% ABV must have been higher than that.

Curious.

- magno

They do a parallel contest for employees only at the same time - not AHA/BJCP sanctioned. They take the top three from that competition and have an audience at the GABF taste and vote for the final winner.

The Brewing Network had an interview with Jim Koch in January, who talked about the contest at length. He's a great guy who just loves beer, and is really excited about the contest. Worth a listen, especially if you're thinking about entering this year.

Back