Competition Scores

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pancoastbrewing

Reaction score
Just got my scores back from the 3rd Homebrew competition I’ve ever entered. I know the feedback received is way more important than scores, but I was happy to receive a 35 on one of my entries. Highest I’ve ever gotten (also received a 14, my lowest ever! YIKES!) However, I did not place in the top 3 for the category (and there were only 10 entries). I feel like a 35 should have been good enough to place! What do you all think? What’s the highest non placing score you’ve ever received?

It's all relative and scores need context to be meaningful. Judges could have been generous with scores and it could be inflated. Your competition could have been really tough. I got a 43 once that didn't place (NHC). I've gotten many many in the 37-40 range with no medal. I've also taken silver with a 28 and gold with a 30.

Yeah, unfortunately they don't post the winning scores. Wish they did, that would give some context. I have a feeling the scores tend to run high in this competition.

I had a double IPA place 3rd with a 37, so just made it. An old ale I had in the same comp. got a 32 and did not place.

Recently had a Saison take second with a 36, and a stout not medal with a 38 in the same competition. Really depends on the other entries at that point.

None the less, good job on the 35, now to clean up that 14!

Recently had a Saison take second with a 36, and a stout not medal with a 38 in the same competition. Really depends on the other entries at that point.

None the less, good job on the 35, now to clean up that 14!
You got that right! I knew it wouldn't score well, but I would never have classified it as undrinkable! Oh well

A 47 for an over the top IPA. No medal. I wonder if they were scoring on a different scale.

Placement is only correlated directly to scores when the category is judged by a single judging panel. If they run it with a miniBOS then the scores are ignored and winners are chosen in a relatively cursory way.

Back