Competition Entry: Which BJCP Style Is This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I want to enter my first competition but want to be sure I enter my beer into the right category. I created the recipe using Beersmith and currently have it listed as a Robust Porter 12B.

Thanks!

"Vanilla Smoked Whiskey Porter"
OG - 1.064
IBU - 33.5
SRM - 25.1
ABV - 6.2% (+ .42% vanilla bean/whiskey combo)

Grain Bill:
2-Row
Crystal 60L
Munich
Black Patent
Cherry Wood Smoked Malt
Chocolate Malt
Carafoam

Hops:
Willamette
Pacific Gem

Misc:
Vanilla Beans
200ml Whiskey

I'm fairly certain that the inclusion of vanilla bean and whiskey will make this a cat 23A Specialty beer, with cat 12B being the underlying style.

Hopefully, one of the BJCP folks will jump in with a second opinion.

Also, be careful with the black patent, as it can really add some acrid bitterness. I'd prolly be more inclined to use black barley for a smoother taste that would better suit a porter.

Yep, definitely 23A, or Specialty...the vanilla and whiskey keep it out of the general smoked beer category (22B), and all of that definitely keeps it out of the regular porter style.

When you enter it, make sure to list all the extras (vanilla, etc) and specify the base beer style, Robust Porter.

While it definitely would be under 23, it doesn't mean you could not enter it under smoked beer also just to see how it would score for the heck of it. I have done that with a porter of mine. It's a historic 1776 porter and is way out of style for the Robust Porter as it was 8.5% and OG was 1.080. But I entered under 23 as historic and entered under robust porter in three comps and scored higher under robust porter in all three comps and even took first in one.

Back