Competition Categorization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konofaye

Reaction score
I recently brewed a beer for competition that, now that I taste the final product, is different than I had anticipated. As a result, I'm questioning which BJCP category to enter it in.

I was planning for a dry-hopped saison with orange zest and hibiscus added. American 2-row, spelt, carapils and a dash of Munich 10. FWH with CTZ, whirlpool with Amarillo and Idaho 7, and then dry hopped with Amarillo and Idaho 7. Fresh orange zest and hibiscus added in whirlpool.

It has a strong hop aroma and flavor, tough to tell if the orange zest comes through, or if it's just the Amarillo, but it's present along with the 3711 flavor and a slight tartness. It's on the line of a Belgian IPA but FG is 1.001, so it's saison dry too. It's not Dupont or even Deux Amis, so I feel like I'll get dinged by the judges for trying to call it a saison. But it's not like other Belgian IPAs I've had.

Any thoughts or suggestions of how to enter this beer? Any categories I haven't considered or reasons to choose one over the other?

Overall Impression
An IPA with the fruitiness and spiciness derived from the use of Belgian yeast. The examples from Belgium tend to be lighter in color and more attenuated, similar to a tripel that has been brewed with more hops. This beer has a more complex flavor profile and may be higher in alcohol than a typical IPA.

This is from the BJCP guidelines for Belgian IPA so I would not be too concerned about the attenuation.

You could always enter it in both categories!

Latest posts

Back