Competition Bottle Storage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
So I have quite a few competitions coming up. I was just wondering what I should do. I have a pumpkin ale and a pale ale. The one competition is in September and the other is early November. The november entries I am not dropping off until October 30th or so. The september one I am shipping out later this week. I bottle condition my entries (not fill from my keg). What is the proper storage? Do I keep them in the fridge until I ship them and ship them cold or do I just leave them at room temperature? Does it really matter? The pumpkin ale has been at room temp for a month and the pale ale has been at room temp for 2 weeks.

What temp is room temp? How big of a beer is the pumpkin ale?

If they've been sitting right around 70F, I would let the pale sit for one more week, then let cold condition in the fridge fo at least a week to eliminate chill haze and give the beer a clear appearance. And I would put a few of the pumpkin ales in the fridge now to clear them up as well. I always like to hold onto a couple bottles to see how they age, unless they're extremely hop-forward

I'd just make sure to give them at least a week in the fridge before sending them in. 2 weeks might even be better. My beer's typically drop pretty clear after about 5 days in the fridge, but 7-10 days and they're absolutely crystal

I'd just make sure to give them at least a week in the fridge before sending them in. 2 weeks might even be better. My beer's typically drop pretty clear after about 5 days in the fridge, but 7-10 days and they're absolutely crystal

But there is little point because he is shipping them. They will be tossed around quite a bit.

For the NHC I shipped them warm. I made certain I paid for shipping that allowed the beers to make it to the destination without having to sit on a truck over the weekend. I would do that. You can go through the motions of shipping cold, but I've never bothered.

Ahh yes, the shaking would throw the haze back into suspension, wouldn't it. Sorry about that. I don't have any experience shipping my own beer for competition.

Still, though, if the pale ale is hop-forward, I would throw those in the fridge after about another week to keep them fresher longer, for the November competition at least.

Back