Competition 1 month away, bottle or wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ski12568

Reaction score
So there is a competition in my area that requires 3 bottles to be submitted by March 19th. I would like to submit my pale ale that was kegged around the 12th and I have probably washed down a gallon or two. I also have a porter but it was from a kit.

Should I fill and cap 3 bottles now so I can keep drinking it, or should I slow down my consumption and bottle the day before I submit them. I would keep the bottles cold until they were submitted. i don't think I will have the keg tapped by the deadline, either.

Also, If i increased the co2 pressure a bit, would that help the beer have a better carbonation at the time they decide to taste it?

Thank you

How are you bottling it? With a Blichmann beer gun, you probably don't have to turn up the carbonation, but with a homemade beergun you may need to.

I'd bottle now, as keeping it in the keg is just temptation to drink more of it, unless there is some reason that I can't think of to wait to bottle.

It would be filled with a picnic tap with bottling cane inserted. I think I'm going to bottle one today and see how it is on Monday.

How much would you raise the co2?

Should I hold onto it and submit it a couple days before the deadline or just submit it this week?

Thanks for the help!

It would be filled with a picnic tap with bottling cane inserted. I think I'm going to bottle one today and see how it is on Monday.

How much would you raise the co2?

Should I hold onto it and submit it a couple days before the deadline or just submit it this week?

Thanks for the help!

Are you using the bung (ala 'the biermuncher bottle filler'?) to make a homemade counterpressure filler? If so, I'd turn it up maybe 2 psi for a week, and then bottle it and cap immediately. I'd keep it cold and submit as late as possible, depending on the style and if the beer is peaking right now.

Yes, I have the bung and will use that method. Thank you for the help.

It is a pale ale so I think I will bottle like you said, after sitting with some more co2 for a week.

:mug:

I think it sounds great! Good luck in the competition- wish it was one I was judging! :p

Thank you. I am really doing it to see what kind of off flavors they pick up (if any) and to get some general feedback. I want to get better with each brew.

Back