Compact Refrigerator for Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuke395

Reaction score
I am a new homebrewer but am looking into making my own kegerator. I want to use a compact refrigerator because it will be portable when I leave for college. I have seen some built on youtube and it seems like any 4.6 cubic ft compact refrigerator would work for this purpose. Does anyone have anymore information that could help me out? Has anyone made a kegerator using this size of compact refrigerator and if so which refrigerator did you use? Any information will be helpful. Thanks

Do a bit of searching and you will come up with a lot of builds.

The hardest part (at least for me) was that to fit a 5 gallon corny you need to bend the freezer compartment. I cracked my coolant line and ended up building the RRefrigerator.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/rrefrigerator-how-i-learned-stop-worrying-about-my-cut-coolant-line-124701/

Since I am a sissy I would recommend you build a collar on the front of your mini fridge so that you can fit a full sized keg without having to bend the freezer compartment.

Do some searching for "cold box" or keezer collars for ideas.

Has anyone else used any different models of compact refrigerators? If so what was the model?

Danby dar440 model has no freezer compartment. I just converted this model a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty easy.
It comes in white, black, or stainless steel look.

ForumRunner_20120221_092920.jpg

Go to lowes and check out the smallest fridge with a freezer on top...I built mine with it and it holds 2 cornys and a 5 lb co2 with the top shelf still able to hold cans! The best part is you'll have a freezer for hops, mugs, and frozed dinners which you will probably need in those late nights of partying! Its less than 5 ft tall and I got the stainless looking one on sale for about what the mini's sale for...go to classifieds here and search for kegarator fs/ft in NC and check out the pics! I'm upgrading to 6/8 taps so I'm letting it go...to bad you live so far away!

I found this link a few days ago when I was researching this topic

http://www.kegkits.com/kegerator1.htm

There are several good articles on-line for building a kegerator and the one you found happens to by my article.

The Sanyo fridge was the best deal out there but they are hard or impossible to find. The Danby fridge mentioned in the article is the best deal that I know of and you can have Wally-World on-line deliver it to your nearest store.

I would not recommend buying one with a internal freezer compartment and folding the freezer compartment back. Too many people I know have done that and the coil eventually leaked.

I may be getting my hands on the Sanyo soon but am dumb as can be when it comes to tools, knowledge and patience with this. I've looked but so far, only found 1 video on youtube showing how to do this but it's not good quality.
Anyone have any pics of their conversion to give me an idea of WTF I need to do? I think I'll need to call in reinforcements on this project (assuming I get the fridge).

Back