Comp and Style Question 24C. Bière de Garde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JediJoel

Reaction score
This might just be too subjective but, I'm entering a biere de garde into a competition. The three sub-classes are based on color: blonde, amber, brown. My beer is on the edge and I'm having trouble declaring which sub-class to submit the beer into (sub-class is required for the comp).

BJCP introduction lists the amber description as an SRM of 6-9 and deep amber as 10-14, they list copper as 14-17, and deep copper/light brown as 17-18.

24C Style: 6-19
My Beer: 16 (in BeerSmith)

I'm thinking of entering as an amber expecting pours to be a few oz so the beer will be thinner in a glass and look lighter. How would y'all classify it? Let me know if you want pictures.

I think you would be better suited on focusing on where does the flavor profile line up with the color I'm choosing. For instance if the malt isn't truly dominant you would be better going Amber where the hop character is a little more in balance. In the end you are talking 1-2 points deducted for color although if it's close enough to the fence it is likely .5-1 point. However, if you are setting up an expectation of flavor/aroma based on the color choice then there are a lot more points up in the air.

Back