Commercial Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be possible to measure the amount of yeast needed for each brew. As it ages, and viability decreases, larger volumes of the yeast could be used to make up for the loss of viability, or using starters to rebuild yeast cell count.

In my opinion you would be making a lot of large starters before this volume of yeast could be used for your brewing needs, unless your brewery is larger than the typical home brewing size. Economy would be lost with the amount of DME purchased for the starters.

In addition to the above, HBT members have had trouble with that Chi company.

In addition to the above, HBT members have had trouble with that Chi company.

Really? I've never had a problem with them. Just goes to show how individual experiences are always different. But to the OP.....I've never used a non commercial yeast. Unless your catching spores on your back porch for a sour or something, it's commercial. Many breweries have their own proprietary strains, but most use the same stuff you can get from Wyeast or White Labs.

Back