Commercial refrigerator as kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrO

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience converting a commercial refrigerator into a kegerator? With the pandemic on feezers are hard to come by in my area. I spotted a deal on a used commercial refrigerator that looks like I can get 12 kegs in. I don't have any experience with this type of unit and was looking for advice, and thought on where it might be save to drill.
00P0P_ax6fahMDf8Jz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

With drilling you can do nothing wrong with the door.

I would urge you to consider the implications of buying a commercial unit as far as maintenance is concerned. Repairs on commercial equipment are ridiculously expensive compared to home appliances. If you're paying peanuts for it and are okay with just disposing of it whenever the unit stops working then go for it, but if you're in for the long run it might not be such a bargain in the end.

If it runs and is cheap, why not? Like Vale said, the door will be safe to drill. Besides, who doesn't love stainless?

Depends on age and price. I have a Bev Air and two True units. Two have run for over 10 years with no problems. They last much longer than home appliances but are more expensive to repair, but parts availability is much better. Also use more electricity (no 'energy star'). IMHO residential appliances are disposable, commercial units are worth repairing.
Be aware that many homeowners insurance policies do not cover damage (fire, flood, etc) caused by commercial appliances used residentially unless you have an insurance rider. My rider is $60/yr.

Back