Commercial hops growers in Ohio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falcon428

Reaction score
Im from the midwest part of Ohio and have been looking into growing hops, not sure if the climate is right for it or not? Are there any other hops growers in Ohio area that would be willing to talk to a newbie? Is there a market for them in this area? I have 100 acres that I own plus cash rent much more, but only looking to maybe put some of the 100 acres into hops. Been growing corn, soybeans and wheat, now looking into other ideas.

Home brewing is what brought it to mind. I have started helping a few friends with there homebrew, and just sitting around tasting some of our work, few of the guys keep telling me I should grow hops. Well I have been researching it online some lately and cant find much on doing it in Ohio. I realize there may be good reasons for that, and thats what I would like to find out.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Rodney

You should see if there is a Iowa state hop union/co-op.

My friend in Wisconsin is apart of a Wisconsin co-op. In August he is hosting a hop harvest and farmers show up to learn more about how to grow hops. If you weren't 8+ hours away I would encourage you to go. I think there must be a Ohio group similar to Wisconsin's.

Where the hell is Houston Ohio?
If you read a little, you'll ffind out that Cooperstown NY was huge in hop production untill they had a blight problem that bankrupted the farmers.
The soils are most likely OK and the climate is good, but what do you know about it?

Bull

Its a small rural town about 45 mile north of Dayton, OH. I have been searching the internet, spent alot of time on dead ends. Dont have a fast connection out here in middle of corn field so those dead ends waste alot of time... Have spent many hours looking around, tons of stuff on guys growing a few plants in there backyards in Ohio. I will look into Cooperstown ordeal.

I dont know **** about growing hops, reason Im asking and reading, have been looking for a co-op or other organization that can help. Need to find out more info so I can do a business plan, need to know I can make money at this, otherwise I will just stick with what I do know.

Thanks!!

Check out this site. They will allow you to grow hops under contract to them. They have training etc. Don't know if they do this in Ohio but there is good info on this site.
www.gorstvalleyhops.com

I'm one of the aforementioned Gorst Valley guys and I can confirm that we don't have any growers in Ohio nor do I know of any.

If you are interested, send me a PM. We are in WI but I can also refer you to a group in NY/CT that may be closer.

You'll also may want to reconsider starting with 100 acres. Our most ambitious growers start with 3 and we encourage them to stay at 10 or less so they can sustainably manage their fields.

I'm one of the aforementioned Gorst Valley guys and I can confirm that we don't have any growers in Ohio nor do I know of any.

If you are interested, send me a PM. We are in WI but I can also refer you to a group in NY/CT that may be closer.

You'll also may want to reconsider starting with 100 acres. Our most ambitious growers start with 3 and we encourage them to stay at 10 or less so they can sustainably manage their fields.

Thanks Dan, I will try and get with you later this week. I was meerly stating how much I had here on the home farm that I own, majority of the acres that I farm are rented and i dont see putting that kind of money in someone elses property starting out. I did read alot on your site late last night. I would have no problem starting out small and building up. Gotta go busy couple days so I will try and email you later in the week.

Thanks!!

Rodney

OK...just wanted to make sure you were sane. We get the comment all the time, "I'm going to start out with 40 or 50 and work my way up..." Those guys come out at harvest season, spend 2 hours picking an 1/8 acre and leave. They never come back.

Its not that it would be impossible. Its just that outside of the PNW, where they have the experience and infrastructure to do giant farms, you're getting yourself into more work that you can imagine.

PM me or you probably found my e-mail on the website.

Back