Commercial brewery yeast confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
yo.

So I've been assisting at a few commercial breweries in my area trying to get some more experience and learning lots o stuff.

At two separate breweries I watched the brewmaster pitch a large pack of dry yeast (basically a brick of dry yeast, biggest package I've ever seen *insert innuendo here*) into the fermenter after brewing a batch, when they were refreshing their yeast and not repitching from previous batches. I asked about pitching dry yeast and both guys said that it was all good, which went in complete contrary to my previous beliefs that I have learned through the years of homebrewing. I asked a little bit about it without trying to overstep my bounds as a newb but they both said, it provided enough cells to account for their brews. (7 and 10bbl systems)

Anyone care to comment about this? yeast on a commercial scale has been one of the points that has confused me, if a brewery doesn't have their own yeast lab and repitches from previous fermentations. How do they control the strain after a few batches? I kinda always figured they would have made a 20 gallon starter or something =P

comments?

Every brew is essentially a huge starter, isn't it? They'll control it based on slurry volume and are probably not nearly as accurate as one would expect from a commercial brewery.

I'm not sure what your asking. It sounds like they (and most breweries) re-use the yeast slurry from a previous brew. But, after several generations they will start anew. Pitching a huge block of dry yeast doesn't sound strange to me at all. Why would they need to make a starter with dry yeast? I don't, nor do I rehydrate. I'm not sure what other commercial breweries do, but I imagine the ones that do have their own labs, and save their strains, do make some sort of starter when they need to.

I'm not sure what your asking. It sounds like they (and most breweries) re-use the yeast slurry from a previous brew. But, after several generations they will start anew. Pitching a huge block of dry yeast doesn't sound strange to me at all. Why would they need to make a starter with dry yeast? I don't, nor do I rehydrate. I'm not sure what other commercial breweries do, but I imagine the ones that do have their own labs, and save their strains, do make some sort of starter when they need to.

According to the Yeast book, not re-hydrating yeast before pitching kills about 50% of them.

othevad: I would suggest reading http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381969/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 It has insight on yeast at the home brew level, as well as the micro-brewery level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back