Commercial Beer Labeling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curlyfat

Reaction score
I am curious what the laws are state-to-state when it comes to listing alcohol content. I was under the impression (don't know why) that anything over 5% has to be listed on the label.

Tonight I bought a sixer of "cold hop" by Boulder Brewing. With no alcohol listed, I assumed it was below 5%. Three beers in and I am buzzing! :tank: So...I looked it up on beer advocate and it's listed at 6.5%

I'm sure it's different in every state, but does anyone know the laws? I googled with no useful result. BTW, I live in Wyoming, so it's doubtful anyone knows the specific laws here, but generally, it's less regulated than most other places (in all aspects! :rockin:)

The only thing I think I know is that the ABV listing has to be accurate within 0.5%

It's funny how we get to thinking that 5% ABV is an "average" beer. But somehow I don't think the rest of the world sees it that way. After all, Bud Light is more like 4.2%, right?

What is this "Bud Light" that you speak of? ;)
True enough. I didn't know about the accuracy thing. It seems like .5% is a pretty big margin..

Thanks for that site! I found this to answer my question:
An optional statement of alcohol content expressed in percent by volume may appear on the label. Federal regulations require the alcohol content to appear on the labels of flavored malt beverages that derive alcohol from added flavors. However, some State laws have their own requirements with regard to alcohol content statements.
So...I guess it's optional, and I doubt Wyoming requires any more. I'm not sure what they mean by "derive alcohol from added flavors"...

Back