Comments/Suggestions on my Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperial

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a "Strong Ale" in a few days. I'm calling it a strong ale because it's a high gravity, relatively low hop ale.

Here's my recipe.

I'll be using Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale. I should have ~200ml thick yeast slurry (this should be plenty of yeast according to Mr. Malty).

5.5gal recipe

Grain bill
21# American 2-row
12oz Crystal 60
12oz Crystal 40

I should hit ~1.110 OG

Hop schedule
1oz chinook 40min
1oz nugget 20min
1oz cascade 10min
1oz cascade 2min

This will make it ~32 IBU

I'm going to boil for 60min.

I don't have a lot of experience with 1084. I know it does well with darker beers. This is not a darker beer. Is this a mistake? I have not bought the grains yet, so I can do something different. The only thing set in stone is my yeast.

One big thing that I want with this beer is to brew a big beer that does not have a raisin flavor. I've brewed several big beers recently that have had this flavor. It is not a bad flavor, I just want something different. I think it's coming from the amount of specialty grains that I was using (I was using up to 25% specialty grains).

Also, I don't want this beer to be too bitter. My main taste tester has said that all my beers tend to have a bitterness that is a little strong. I also enjoy a good malty big beer.

Comments or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!

Raisin typically comes from the darker crystals. Right now, you're very light on hops with 1.110 OG and 32 IBUs. You can add more bittering hops and still be malt forward.

I don't know about 1084.

Back